Wine Making Setup.. Let's see it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianPGApro

Junior
Reaction score
I'm patiently waiting for all of my items to arrive and have now started the process of setting up my working area. I have seen all the equipment needed and the items that would really help out ...

I wanted to see if anyone would like to show their work area so that others might be able to see some different ideas that might help them. I will also share pictures of the my setup as I put everything into place:).

This is my setup. Turned about 1/3 of our cellar into a wine making area.
When I have grapes I crush/press them outside, then bring down to the cellar in basement.
I added the sink in, but haven't yet run the drain line, so every once in a while I just empty the bucket under the sink into our laundry sink.

20171108_220406.jpg 20171108_212953.jpg

I have a cold room under the side porch about that size. Right now only stores tools but I have been thinking about a winemaking and storage room. I would definitely add a sink, lighting, and some way to stabilize the temp in there against our winters. Seeing yours goves me more ideas. Joe

As promised here are mine. Not shown is a 7 cf chest freezer with a 12" raised lid. Getting ready to build a fermentation tunnel 4x4x8 laying down. Enough to hold 2 pallets of fermentation vessels. My shop is not conditioned, mid to upper 80s now. Have a donated 5k btu ac unit to keep it cool. It will be something I can disassemble and store until spring.

Attachments

• Work Station.jpg
    Work Station.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 298
  • Storage.jpg
    Storage.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 288
  • Walk in.jpg
    Walk in.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 249
Wine making IS fun in and of itself. If it's not then you are doing something wrong.

The smell of an active ferment alone is worth the work to remove old labels, as well as cleaning bottles and equipment.
Nothing against a TV in the area but seems like it would be easy to get distracted and forget, to do something, how much of something you added or skip a step. So far none of this is old hat to me. There is always something unique about each batch and something to keep me interested and focused

Are you not allowed to have fun in a wine room?

Oh, Ian, it was just a fatuous, anti-TV gibe. Of course you can have fun any way you like!

"The television, that insidious beast, that Medusa which freezes a billion people to stone every night, staring fixedly, that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." -Ray Bradbury, science-fiction writer (1920-2012)

Wine making IS fun in and of itself. If it's not then you are doing something wrong.

The smell of an active ferment alone is worth the work to remove old labels, as well as cleaning bottles and equipment.
Nothing against a TV in the area but seems like it would be easy to get distracted and forget, to do something, how much of something you added or skip a step. So far none of this is old hat to me. There is always something unique about each batch and something to keep me interested and focused
Oh, Ian, it was just a fatuous, anti-TV gibe. Of course you can have fun any way you like!

"The television, that insidious beast, that Medusa which freezes a billion people to stone every night, staring fixedly, that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." -Ray Bradbury, science-fiction writer (1920-2012)

I totally agree, if I had unlimited space it would be a little different. But with that said.... it's football season and can't wait to hide in my wine room/man cave/office.

I think of it as additional time aging in a very complex terroir :h

Nice to have some entertainment options in the Winery although you can't really do both at the same time. I like to stream music through the AppleTV via iTunes or Pandora etc. This time of year both Mrs IB and I play Fantasy Football so Sundays is ~5 hours of NFL Redzone which can be streamed into the Winery as well. Nice to have it on when the big plays come on.

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 8.22.20 AM.png

TV - Stereo - Books - Fridge - my room serves as a working winery, gathering space, hiding space but most of all a fun zone. As they say everything in moderation. I'm sure I've posted this pic before but here's my setup.
Mike

Nice to have some entertainment options in the Winery although you can't really do both at the same time. I like to stream music through the AppleTV via iTunes or Pandora etc. This time of year both Mrs IB and I play Fantasy Football so Sundays is ~5 hours of NFL Redzone which can be streamed into the Winery as well. Nice to have it on when the big plays come on.
]

Wow, These are great!!! Next step for me is adding additional storage.

I know the many ways to raise temperatures or lower them for the various reasons. But what type of temperatures are you looking to keep you work room at?

Because I would have loved to used my garage after adding an air conditioner but was a little afraid that I couldn't keep it at a constant temperature.

Latest posts

Back