Wine Making room questions (fermentation)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCPR62

Junior
Reaction score
Newbie here just starting out and I'm jumping all in. Have started with growing grapes in the backyard to attempt making my own wine. While I sit and wait I would like to have my wine making room all set up for when I'm ready, the room I have started construction on is attached to a crawl space and I was planing on using half to store wine and taste and use the other half to make, ferment, bottle.
I was planning on tempature controlling the room to 55* for the storing of wine. But will this be to cold for fermentation of red wine? All the research I have done says 70-78 is ideal.
Should I just be looking at 2 separate areas 1 to work one to store.
I will be spending. Lot of time and money getting this room nice so also if the process will just make a mess maybe I should keep it away from the cellar all together? Any advice on what you guys would recommend would help out tons.
The room size I have is about 10'x8'

THANK YOU

Your research is accurate, my winemaking was in the same boat, so I built a really nice storage cellar which I keep at pretty much the same temps. Didn't help at all for a fermentation area, but I've managed to set aside an area in my home to ferment and do MLF, temps being pretty steady at 73-75, works like a charm. My opinion is that two rooms would be beneficial.

Your research is accurate, my winemaking was in the same boat, so I built a really nice storage cellar which I keep at pretty much the same temps. Didn't help at all for a fermentation area, but I've managed to set aside an area in my home to ferment and do MLF, temps being pretty steady at 73-75, works like a charm. My opinion is that two rooms would be beneficial.

Thanks Johnn I guess that's what I am leaning towards, I have a spot in my laundry room I could use. could I just ferment in a area closer to to 73* then once I barrel it bring it back to the storage room or should start to finish have every step In a warmer area?

Thanks Johnn I guess that's what I am leaning towards, I have a spot in my laundry room I could use. could I just ferment in a area closer to to 73* then once I barrel it bring it back to the storage room or should start to finish have every step In a warmer area?

I ferment in the room, press and rack into carboys and keep the carboys there until both alcoholic and malolactic fermentation is complete. At that point, the wines are sulfited and transferred to the wine room where they will sit for 3-6 months. After that period, much of the sediment has dropped out and the wines are mostly free of CO2 and go into barrels in the cellar. After barrel aging, they are bottled and stored in the cellar.

Latest posts

Back