Wine making in the age of pandemics

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not worry about my wine playing host to CV19. Even the bottle, label and cork don't concern me. Especially since I normally wait at least a month after bottling before using or giving away any of my wines. If you are concerned just wipe down the bottles with your sanitizer aftet bottling. Between that and a good month long wait (Bottle Shock time) and your wine should be safe.
I agree with you 100%

Is anyone taking any extra precautions in light of the corona virus like timing your racking in 14 day ( incubation period) intervals? Or taking additional steps in sanitation beyond what you would normally do?
Just wondering. I started a new 6 gallon batch of Dragons Blood 8 days ago and would rather be safe than sorry. Thanks
If you wash your hands thoroughly and sanitize equipment as you should do anyway, there will be very little chance your wine or bottles will carry the Corona Virus.
The fact that the winemaking process and racking the wine takes time (as long as no one is touching the equipment or bottles) any virus present will die.
According to Harvard Health the COVID-19 has a very limited lifespan on surfaces:
"A recent study found that the COVID-19 coronavirus can survive up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard, and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel. The researchers also found that this virus can hang out as droplets in the air for up to three hours before they fall. But most often they will fall more quickly."

Not sure where you are, but here in New England I have never seen osmosis machines in grocery stores. Bottled water, yes. But that's about it.
The technology used at my local Walmart where one puts a jug in and the machine refills the jug is RO. (reverse osmosis) ... They also have simple distilled and distilled “baby water” with minerals added back in gallons in the infant section.

I have 2 kits I was planning to make and need spring water but didn't want to go to the store and buy all the water. Not that they would let me because most stores are limiting you. Don't want to use my city tap water. May head into the mountains and find a spring and fill up some buckets.
Gallon jugs (or 2&1/2) of spring water are readily available near me. Just the 1/2 liter bottles for drinking are gone.

Latest posts

Back