Wine making in the age of pandemics

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a bottle is what is being called a “hard surface” , , , if it has been in the bottle for three days our assumption is that it is clean. FYI, The new norm is put our check on the concrete entry and the pizza person puts pizza (gift wine) where the check was, , , , without face to face contact.
I have several gallons of denatured alcohol for disinfectant - who knew that would come in handy? Also a stash of empty spray bottles for sanitizing. Was able to whip of a few bottles of disinfectant and gift them to the elderly neighbors. Never thought winemaking would be a useful pandemic hobby.
. . . unless a " person (person not showing symptoms for 5.1 days average)" comes into my home I just have clean/disinfect me and my clothing.
As wine makers we like time, , , and the rule here is 3 days.
Grain alcohol is a good sanitizer, I suggested the liquor aisle to the wife when the cleaning aisle was empty. :dgI can picture the spray bottle and giving up drinking, just breathe it in

Funny enough here in Western PA, liquor stores are shut down as of tonight. They are state run here. Last I heard shelves were bare at most of them to. I stopped up after I heard about there being a run on hand sanitizer a few days ago. I picked up some everclear, I was joking about having it for medical purposes. I was joking then, but hey atleast it's good to have now.

Bars closing, ok I can understand that, but if grocery stores are open why not liquor stores. Sounds like another knee jerk reaction and I'll say no more.

Guess we're lucky here, most all of our grocery stores sell beer, wine and liquor as well. The booze is much more well stocked than the groceries are at the moment......

I have 2 kits I was planning to make and need spring water but didn't want to go to the store and buy all the water. Not that they would let me because most stores are limiting you. Don't want to use my city tap water. May head into the mountains and find a spring and fill up some buckets.

I have 2 kits I was planning to make and need spring water but didn't want to go to the store and buy all the water. Not that they would let me because most stores are limiting you. Don't want to use my city tap water. May head into the mountains and find a spring and fill up some buckets.

Gee, it's not like you're going to need to buy up the whole supply! Buy enough to start one kit now and buy what you need for the second kit in a couple of weeks if your worried about drying up the store's supply.

Huh? Neosporin is an antibiotic and, as such, is completely ineffective in preventing or treating any virus.
I’ll try anything that MAY help grab hold of nasties. I guess Vick’s vapor is ok; Even tallow, lanolin. I make lots of ‘killer’ soap; but it’s not going up my nose.

If it’s not too far, it may be worth it for clean clear mt. H2O. I made a fab dry pear wine with smoky mt. Spring water. I miss that PD water near Cade’s cove.

Guess we're lucky here, most all of our grocery stores sell beer, wine and liquor as well. The booze is much more well stocked than the groceries are at the moment......

closet walmart to me is 15 mile one way, two weeks ago when i went to buy some food,, i for the first time in my life,, i saw beer in our walmart (59), blew my mind, now i've seen plenty elsewhere across the USA, but i grew up in a dry county, all my wine making supplies are from online, but fruit and berries are free to pick,,,

Not in that gorgeous mt. Area anymore. Miss that cold clear H20. Have to use purified cause we have well water, horrific 😩.

Not in that gorgeous mt. Area anymore. Miss that cold clear H20. Have to use purified cause we have well water, horrific 😩.
oh that is sad, living in the ozark foothill or any place that has limestone, as you know that water taste like heaven,
yeah when i worked on the road ,i'd only drink bottle water, evion if i could find it,

Finally used to rotten egg smell. Down here in hot Fl I spent loads on getting half decent well water. And my Bloods too thin to move back to MS or TN. Love it here tho. Make soap & garden.

In reply to some of you looking for water, most grocery stores have an osmosis machine that dispenses great water. Just need some empty gallon jugs. Cheep too. Usually about 35 to 40 cents a gallon.

LOL,

The way I see it, when society breaks down, and we find ourselves in a post-apocalyptic world, wine will be the new currency. I have told folks (jokingly) that gun turrets, booby traps, land mines, and a moat are being installed....

Image result for road warrior

Seriously, the wines are all sealed. I do not think that there is any risk.

In reply to some of you looking for water, most grocery stores have an osmosis machine that dispenses great water. Just need some empty gallon jugs. Cheep too. Usually about 35 to 40 cents a gallon.
Not sure where you are, but here in New England I have never seen osmosis machines in grocery stores. Bottled water, yes. But that's about it.

Latest posts

Back