Wine making in the age of pandemics

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnlivn

Reaction score
Is anyone taking any extra precautions in light of the corona virus like timing your racking in 14 day ( incubation period) intervals? Or taking additional steps in sanitation beyond what you would normally do?
Just wondering. I started a new 6 gallon batch of Dragons Blood 8 days ago and would rather be safe than sorry. Thanks

I would not worry about my wine playing host to CV19. Even the bottle, label and cork don't concern me. Especially since I normally wait at least a month after bottling before using or giving away any of my wines. If you are concerned just wipe down the bottles with your sanitizer aftet bottling. Between that and a good month long wait (Bottle Shock time) and your wine should be safe.

I went out and purchased four white wine kits to start up asap that I’m expecting to bottle fairly quickly. My LHBS stocks WinExpert kits.

I’m starting these tonight with primary ferment direct in the carboy -
Pinot Blanc
Trinity White
Symphony
Riesling

I agree the acidic and high ABv environment will not sustain the virus.

-johann

Is anyone taking any extra precautions in light of the corona virus like timing your racking in 14 day ( incubation period) intervals? Or taking additional steps in sanitation beyond what you would normally do?
Just wondering. I started a new 6 gallon batch of Dragons Blood 8 days ago and would rather be safe than sorry. Thanks

Saw Dragonblood recipe earlier & can’t find it. Just joined today & need info on thread name please. Did I word that correctly?

Saw Dragonblood recipe earlier & can’t find it. Just joined today & need info on thread name please. Did I word that correctly?
Since I’ve made soap forever I know to use it (especially old fashioned lye soap) when you want sparkly disinfect clean, I’m not as worried If in a crowd I put neosporin in & around nose.

Since I’ve made soap forever I know to use it (especially old fashioned lye soap) when you want sparkly disinfect clean, I’m not as worried If in a crowd I put neosporin in & around nose.

Huh? Neosporin is an antibiotic and, as such, is completely ineffective in preventing or treating any virus.

I have several gallons of denatured alcohol for disinfectant - who knew that would come in handy? Also a stash of empty spray bottles for sanitizing. Was able to whip of a few bottles of disinfectant and gift them to the elderly neighbors. Never thought winemaking would be a useful pandemic hobby.

No one has ever tested it
Is KMeta spray effective on Coronavirus? :)
This said other older cleaners as bleach and quaternary ammonium compounds are being used. One of the suggestions with quat is spray and let it sit.
Meta is a reducing agent combined with citric acid , , it probably works as well as bleach and better than quat.

I have actually wondered about that. It's not listed on the "official" list of disinfectants (https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/list-n-disinfectants-use-against-sars-cov-2) but then I would not expect it to be. But it may be effective.... who knows? :?
No one has ever tested it

This said other older cleaners as bleach and quaternary ammonium compounds are being used. One of the suggestions with quat is spray and let it sit.
Meta is a reducing agent combined with citric acid , , it probably works as well as bleach and better than quat.

I was half joking, but sorta curious. I guess we can always resort to that when we run out of bleach, rubbing alcohol and wipes. ;)

Keep in mind that the difference between sanitizing and disinfecting also involves the amount of time the agent is in contact with the surface you are working on. So while my bottle is effectively sanitized in a minute or less, it might have have that same solution on it for ten minutes to effectively disinfected. AND this virus is also not heat tolerant thus the images of people with hot air "guns" walking through public areas. Personally unless an "unclean person " comes into my home I just have clean/disinfect me and my clothing.

Latest posts

Back