Wine Making Fool

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catskill

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all, I am so glad to find this Forum. On 1/1/2008 I started my first wine kit. I was working on the set of a major motion picture (I am a film electrician) when I meet this Old Italian guy, he was the scenic artist for the film, who talked a few of us into making our own wine. We built a secret room in the studio and started 14 kits unbeknownst to anyone but those involved. Just like what it must have been like during prohibition. Shuttling bottles, water and whatever we needed across the set hidden in hampers. We all had a good time of it and shared each kit with one other at the end. Since that experience I have been hooked. I have made 12 kits in the past 16 months, with the single mindedness of creating a cellar. Making some kits for immediate consumption and others for aging, and a good cross section for food pairing. I keep a wine diary of everything I have made with bottling dates, any extra sulfites I have added, bar codes and food pairing recommendations I researched on the web. I have become a wine fool, but definitely very much still a neophyte with lots of questions. So I’ll thank you all already for any insight and suggestions. -Gene

Welcome Gene, there is quite a plethora of people here with vast knowledge of just about anything you need to know about anything pretty much! Glad to have you aboard!

Lol, loved your secret squirrel story Gene, thats magic! So much more fun when its like that huh?! Welcome from me too!

Welcome aboard. Look forward to reading your posts. Looks like you have a great start.

Hiya Gene

you must have quite a good sized space to store it all, do you have a favourite kit?

Allie

How big of a "CELLAR" do you expect to have?
What kind of kits have you made. Thinking of getting any all juice kits?

I love this hobby

Hello everyone, I do feel like I may be going too fast. I have two limited edition kits going now and will slow down after their done. I have a great space under the stairs in my basement for the cellar. Whatever that will hold is when I stop growing. I have already drunk three out of the 12 I've made. My favorite has been the Stag's Leap merlot. I'm about to bottle the second time round with that kit. I already drank the first one, I know I've consumed that way too early and want to try to hold on to this one longer. The Piesporter was good as well. I've only made WineExpert kits so far. The others I have in the cellar are French Merlot, Montagnac D'OC (crushendo), NZ Sauvignon Blanc, Choc/Rasp-Port, Argentine Malbec, Viognier, and Du Roi. I want to try something new next. Meaning a new manufacturer, and maybe an all-juice kit. Any suggestions?

If looking for a great wine that needs aging then Get the Mosti Mondiale Amarone all juice. This a great all juice "kit".
What are your tastes? Give us a better idea what you like.

The only way to not drink them too early is to get ahead of yourself by making a lot of wine now! After you have a good collection that have sme age on them then you can slow down an stay ahead of your drinking. Its a small sacrifice now but worth it in the end!

I fell in love with wine about 9 years ago when I bought a bottle of Bordeaux. I knew nothing about it other than I had heard that Bordeaux was supposed to be good. Well I guess I got lucky and bought a bottle that was ready to drink, it was a $55 1996 Saint Emilion or Saint Julien I can’t remember, but that bottle made my night. I was living in Camden Maine at that time and it was easier to find and afford a Bordeaux habit thanks to a little local super market that had a great wine selection. Here in the NYC region forget it. I have been drinking Malbecs from Argentina and Spanish Rioja. That is before I started making my own. The kits I have been enjoying have been the Stag’s Leap Merlot, the Chateau Du Roi. I have not sampled the Malbec yet, nor the Chateau D’ Oc. I had a bottle of Amarone this past Christmas and was very disappointed. It was very expensive and probably way too young.

Yum..

Argentinian malbec is my favourite table wine.. with a big steak!

(They just do steak and malbec spectacularly in Argentina. We have some good friends there....just thought I'd share that with you all)

Allie

hehehe

The only way to not drink them too early is to get ahead of yourself by making a lot of wine now! After you have a good collection that have sme age on them then you can slow down an stay ahead of your drinking. Its a small sacrifice now but worth it in the end!
I resemble that remark !

You just have to make more than you drink. Currently I have over 95 full cases not counting whats in my racks or fermenting. Yes we drink, .. 3 bottles a day

Latest posts

Back