wine making first time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devaney

Junior
Reaction score
I picked about 10 pounds of valiant grapes and I'm ready to crush them. I did not wash them or de-stem them. Nor have I used sulphite for anything. I'm not going to add yeast either! I DO have a hydrometer and will use it.

And why don't you want to do what you can to make a good wine is?

And why don't you want to do what you can to make a good wine is?

I second that, even though I tried that too, the results are so much more predictable and faster with commercial yeast and sterilization...

I picked about 10 pounds of valiant grapes and I'm ready to crush them. I did not wash them or de-stem them. Nor have I used sulphite for anything. I'm not going to add yeast either! I DO have a hydrometer and will use it.

The hydrometer is good news as that is essential.

You'll have to destem when you crush.

You can make wine without yeast, but it may take more time or not ferment at all.

You'll need to use potassium metabisulphite to stabilize your wine when fermentation is complete. If you plan to sweeten the wine after fermentation, you'll also need to add potassium sorbate prior to doing so.

Welcome to the forum!

Wine from grapes is way beyond my pay grade. kits, country wine and maybe juice buckets is as far as I want to take this hobby.

I want to try it the old fashioned way so I have a baseline. I will use the stuff that clarifies it. Just learning.

I want to try it the old fashioned way so I have a baseline. I will use the stuff that clarifies it. Just learning.

And keep learning. I remember a winemag article about a couple of guys that intentionally made all the mistakes they could so they would recognize them. Me, I seem to do them naturally:f. Anyway, all the mets, yeast, Malo bacteria etc. are solutions to problems that folks have had. So if you go without them, power to the basics, you may experience them. As long as you learn, who cares?:h

Go for it! I think most of all the additives are to improve your chances that the wine will turn out drinkable. It doesn't mean you can't make drinkable wine without these things.

I think the most important thing, above all else, is starting with good fruit.

if the old fashioned way was still good why are we not still using it.
I would suggest save learning the hard way on your first lesson and test your grape must ,make adjustments and use a commercial yeast. you will definitely waste your time using the alleged old way to get a good wine.

I tried it, but had insurance. I ordered 110 pounds of grapes and split them into two batches. One was crush and let sit naturally, the other I used sulfites and yeast. Im still waiting for them to age. Ive tasted them and so far they're both pretty good. If you do try this, I would suggest that approach. An added plus to that is the ability to taste the exact difference that the additives make to wine.

Hey...worst come to worst, you'll have a couple gallons of wine vinegar...and it could happen. I don't want to waste my time or the fruit. Then again, I will wear a belt and suspenders rather risk showing my a$$! hey, I was laughing when I said that...not pointed at you...I am just the cautious type.:h

Latest posts

Back