Wine Making... a Hobby?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillbilly Bill

Reaction score
According to Wikipedia, winemaking is "A hobby is an activity or interest that is undertaken for pleasure or relaxation, often in one's spare time."

Although I have been brewing for years, and have a working knowledge of fermentation of yeast to produce alcohol, I will admit that I am a relative neophyte at winemaking. I will also admit that I am fairly compulsive about researching any topic that interest me... especially if I plan on getting active involved in said topic.

Therefore, like so many others, I researched the finer points of winemaking for many hours before I decided to dip my big toe into the water by attempting to make something as basic as apple juice wine.

I now know (or think I know) more about yeast than I ever thought was to be known about yeast. Actually, I thought I already knew a good bit about yeast... wrong.

I still have much to learn about fermenting wine must, such as:

1. Getting the TA (total acid) to an acceptable level prior to fermentation.
2. How and when to add the yeast... i.e. dry or slurry.
3. When to add which chemicals (sulfides, fining agents, sorbates, f-pacs, flavorings, sweetener, etc.) ... pre-fermentation, during fermentation, or post fermentation.
4. What are the best temperatures for fermenting, fining, storing, etc.
5. How long to age each type of wine.
6. Which type I wine I prefer... the choices are mind-boggling... especially if your mind is already boggled.
7. And on, and on, and on.

And then there is the ongoing research... the scientific studies of the yeast and fruit fermentations, and especially the opinions and findings of other winemakers. This is a never-ending quest it appears. If you have any question about this, just research the evolution of different species of grapes and yeasts.

So... this is a hobby?

YES IT IS... and I love it!

HB

I am way past the hobby I even think I'm past the addiction as well :dg :dg :dg

Hillbilly Bill wrote:

1. Getting the TA (total acid) to an acceptable level prior to fermentation.
You need to buy a TA kit

2. How and when to add the yeast... i.e. dry or slurry.
Always best to make a starter

3. When to add which chemicals (sulfides, fining agents, sorbates, f-pacs, flavorings, sweetener, etc.) ... pre-fermentation, during fermentation, or post fermentation.
Best thing to do is ASK here. Depends on what you are making

4. What are the best temperatures for fermenting, fining, storing, etc.
Always try to keep a constant temp of at least 68*

5. How long to age each type of wine.
Also depends on what you will make. Whites generally need no aging compared to reds.

6. Which type I wine I prefer... the choices are mind-boggling... especially if your mind is already boggled.
This is where the 3 "T'S" come in
Taste
Taste
Taste
Till you like one

7. And on, and on, and on.
ASk more questions as you go.This is why we are here :b

U and everybody else
Thats why to make MORE than you drink and build up a "reserve". Look below what I have aging. No problem here as for the "P's" as I have over 1,000+ bottles ready to drink in my "cellar".

The FedEx guy just delived a $50 order from George today, so I guess my "hobby" is officially launched. :h
I drink for taste, not effect...but effect is a nice bonus. :dg

What did you get? Is there a degasser in your future?

The FedEx guy just delived a $50 order from George today, so I guess my "hobby" is officially launched. :h
I drink for taste, not effect...but effect is a nice bonus. :dg

Which kit did you get, OP? I am looking for my Orchard Breezin' Blackberry Merlot any day now... got it from George also. He emailed me a couple of times with great answers to my questions. He is something else... a really nice guy.
Let us know what you are making, if it is any of our business.
HB

Which kit did you get, OP? I am looking for my Orchard Breezin' Blackberry Merlot any day now... got it from George also. He emailed me a couple of times with great answers to my questions. He is something else... a really nice guy.
Let us know what you are making, if it is any of our business.
HB
No kits! Just the chemistry I needed (pec enzymes, etc). I still have almost 100 pounds of apples to experiment screwing up! :)
More cider's on the schedule. Gonna try some regular apple wine (wish I'd grabbed some crabapples this year), and see what else is around here I can ferment. With a bumper crop of peppers this year, I'm curious about some folks success with "pepper wine"...for cooking, if nothing else.

P.S. Anybody have a recipe for Skunk Wine? I have one living under my cabin.

No kits! Just the chemistry I needed (pec enzymes, etc). I still have almost 100 pounds of apples to experiment screwing up! :)
More cider's on the schedule. Gonna try some regular apple wine (wish I'd grabbed some crabapples this year), and see what else is around here I can ferment. With a bumper crop of peppers this year, I'm curious about some folks success with "pepper wine"...for cooking, if nothing else.

P.S. Anybody have a recipe for Skunk Wine? I have one living under my cabin.

What kind of apples are they?
Good luck with the skunk... I had one... finally left and a raccoon had a litter under the house (using the term "house" liberally). Now I have a Mama possum and my dashund just loves chasing it back under the house.
Maybe the skunk will be a happy camper and not "show it's stuff."
HB

What kind of apples are they?
Good luck with the skunk... I had one... finally left and a raccoon had a litter under the house (using the term "house" liberally). Now I have a Mama possum and my dashund just loves chasing it back under the house.
Maybe the skunk will be a happy camper and not "show it's stuff."
HB
On topic: They're Johnathan's.
Off topic: I just came up from the root cellar where I was going to broadcast some moth balls. Holy....! I thought I'd been transported into a scene from The Hobbit! There is a tunnel under the cabin big enough to house a badger...a really BIG badger! If that's somebody's hibernation den, I'm in BIG trouble. (We're going to continue this in an appropriate thread)

On topic: They're Johnathan's.
Off topic: I just came up from the root cellar where I was going to broadcast some moth balls. Holy....! I thought I'd been transported into a scene from The Hobbit! There is a tunnel under the cabin big enough to house a badger...a really BIG badger! If that's somebody's hibernation den, I'm in BIG trouble. (We're going to continue this in an appropriate thread)

I'll be looking for it... in chit-chat?
HB

Back