Wine log destroyed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtydog420

Reaction score
So I discovered today my wine log got severely wet and is destroyed.. So I decided to start typing it rather than rewriting it all.. Well I typed out my first few recipes, tried to save, it said there was an error and the program closed so I need to retype them.. S.O.B... I hate computers.. :tz

I mean, its not like I lost any actual wine, but still a pain in the rear..

So I discovered today my wine log got severely wet and is destroyed.. So I decided to start typing it rather than rewriting it all.. Well I typed out my first few recipes, tried to save, it said there was an error and the program closed so I need to retype them.. S.O.B... I hate computers.. :tz
I (nearly) always hit SAVE at a logical break point. In your case, perhaps every recipe. Personally, I would probably hit save more often than that. You might also wish to consider some kind of backup protocol to reduce chance of loss.

Computers are good tools. But that ba**ard Murphy LOVES computers.

Steve

Steve,

That's "Murphy's Law"

I know him WELL ! :slp

Theres been times on here where I typed out quite the elaborate answer to a post and hit submit and when I swear I hit submit and see it there find out a little later when I see what someone else posted after me notice that my post isnt there.:m

Highlight All (CTRL+A)
then Copy (CTRL+C)

i swear by it for posting after losing several highly intellectual thoughts to the ether. (yeah i put it back but it never seems as complete (or something) as it was the original time.

When typing in most text editing programs CTRL+S is the default save shortcut (the 1st time it should ask you were you want to save it).

You could also try Yahoo Notebook if you have a yahoo tool bar you can install it there that way every time you open you home page it is right there for you

I am def making back ups of everything from now on but before I had everything hand written so I could easily have it with when doing stuff.. I had it under my k-meta solution, which somehow got a hole in the bottom of it.. I am now in the process of typing all my previous batch of wine and current batches, into my computer.. however my computer is old and well abused so it acts up.. I had typed about three full pages, went to save and it said there was an error and closed microsoft word on me..

I could use my wifes computer but she has a newer version of word which I absolutely hate with all my heart..

I would love to use brewtex but I am poor and would mean not making a batch to buy the program and Id rather made wine then buy a program..

Its really kinda nice though cause I am forced to look over my notes and see where I went wrong or could make improvements..

Cheers

I've been using SpringPad for all my notes, recipies and reminders.
Its a free web based note/reminder app - its always backed up to the cloud and available on any browser, there is are great apps if you have a smartphone (Android/iPhone). It even has an offline mode so you can use it without being connected to the net. Its backed up to the cloud.

There are different types of notes including recipes and you can add pictures really easy. You can add tags and reminders for next actions like check SG or add kMeta etc.

They have a Wine Cellar type note too so once my brewing is done I transfer the info over to a separate notebook that keeps track of whats in my cellar complete with a photo of each finished product.
It all works pretty slick for me. (for a bunch of other things too but it works great for my wine/beer hobby)
here's the link:
http://springpadit.com/home
and a screen cap of one of my entries:
rjcab.jpg

Left my wine recipe book and all my notes stuffed in it sitting of top of the washer....it's now very clean...but not very readable...:slp

If you think you will continue to have problems:

Before "saving" in Word, hit crtl-a to select all of the text, and ctrl-c to copy to the clipboard. Then if Word crashes, you'll have a copy of it there to start over with.

If you are a belt and suspenders type, then open WordPad or Notepad (on every winders computer under accessories) and paste the text there and save it.

Come to think of it, have you opened Word again and seen if there is something in the recovery pane? Some versions of Word automatically incrementally save docs just to recover from crashes like this.

Ive just started typing all my notes, recipes, ect and backing them up on a flash drive..

We like to use Excel, make a template with room for all the typical additions like SG, KMeta, source fruit etc leaving room for multiple SG and log entries and print lines on the back of the page for notes and stuck in 3 ring binders. One binder is for completed wines, it is kept safe, the other is for wines in progress, its at risk but a little berry juice doesnt really matter and makes the notes look more authentic!

The template is easy to change and printout for different batches each year of the same fruit.

Crackedcork

Latest posts

Back