wine kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob

Reaction score
Looking for your thoughts

I buy most of my cabernet kits and others from Midwest. I have bought many Vintner kits for 54.00, I once tried a selection kit for 97.00, but never the Estate Series for 125.00. I could not tell any difference between 54.00 kit or 97.00, what kits do most of you buy and how much do you pay and can you really tell the difference between kits???

Rob

If you cant see/taste the difference then stay w #54 kits. I cant believe that thou. The better kits will have more body and flavor. Some here do not like the WE kits. I say try a different brand. Ck here for a good selection and George would love U to call him as he will guide you to the "right" kit.
http://www.finevinewines.com/

Thanks Tom

what is a CK kit

What Tom is saying is "check here" at that site. George is awesome to work with. I buy a lot Wine Exoert kits as that is all that is available around me and I will tell you there is a huge differance in the high end kits and the less expensive. That goes for whites and reds. I have started buy RJS kits from the site Tom posted abaove as I think they have a better product.

Yep, I find the RJS Winery series to be the best bang for the $. I hate stating that any kit compares to a dollar amount but must say these kits typically compare after 1 year or 18 months to a $25-30 bottle of commercial wine.

Dan~~what do you mean by RJS kits, I did not see them on the finevinewines.com

Yep, I find the RJS Winery series to be the best bang for the $. I hate stating that any kit compares to a dollar amount but must say these kits typically compare after 1 year or 18 months to a $25-30 bottle of commercial wine.

Now that's quite an endorsement! I usually tell people that my wines are at least as good as any $10 bottle they can buy in the local liquor store -- maybe I need to up the ante a bit(!)

Now that's quite an endorsement! I usually tell people that my wines are at least as good as any $10 bottle they can buy in the local liquor store -- maybe I need to up the ante a bit(!)
Depends on where you live. In Canada, we automatically add at least $5 to your price value because of taxes.

Also, I've had some pretty crappy $20 wines, and some pretty decent ones under $10. To my taste buds, anyway. This is part of the reason that it is difficult to put a price tag on home made wine.

For example, Yellow Tail Shiraz (YTS) has been a very popular wine over the last few years. Yet I know people who think it is awful. So if a wine is better than YTS, how good is it?

Steve

Cpfan is right about some wines being crappy that are expensive and some cheap ones being pretty darn good. I was comparing these kits to a $20 -$30 good wine or if you want a $10 great wine! :)

Myself I like it when people say just for example the Wine Expert selection liebfraumilch is very close to the Jost Comtessa instead of a price range of wine .I know when we went to make the gewurztraminer the first time we weren't sure if we liked that type of wine so we went and bought a couple different brands at the liqour store . One we liked better then the other but we went ahead and made the wine anyways . All I can say is the only ones we have left are the ones we are aging to 1 year or more lol .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back