Wine kits not degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axwilson18

Junior
Reaction score
For my first wine making attempt I purchased two WE kits, an Argentine Malbec and a White Zinfandel. They both progressed through primary and secondary as they should and both reached .994 sg for three days before I degassed and clarified. That was over a month ago and I have stirred a few more times since then and both wines still have CO2 in them. They have both clarified well and look very good but the CO2 is still present. I don't mind waiting as long as it takes but could there be another issue other than needing more time? Should they have clarified before releasing all the CO2?

You've just stumbled across one of the dirty little secrets of the kit-wine industry. Kits almost always take more degassing than the instructions say, usually way more. Did you use a drill attachment of some kind or just the stirring method? It's possible to do it with a spoon, but a drill-driven goodie will do it better.

Also, it helps a lot to make sure the wine is somewhere in the 70s. If it's too cold (thought that's probably not a problem in Florida in June) the gas doesn't come out as readily.

Jim

I have used the drill motor with the degassing attachment on at least four different occasions over about a six week period. Also, the temperature is in the mid 70s. I'm thinking of purchasing a vacuum degasser. Any suggestions?

I am thinking you got all you're going to out of it. You've stirred it several times and your wine is clear and warm. Ensure you have enough sulfite in it and don't expose it anymore. Why do you think you have too much C02 in it? have a bit in it is not bad.

I filled a 12oz bottle about half way and shook it with my thumb on top. When I took my thumb off, I can hear the CO2 come out. I was told by the local retailer that I shouldn't hear anything. Is that true?

ust bought my last pump so I dont think they will have any more problems degassing or racking any more.

Back