Wine kits as healthy as commercial wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuziwk

Reaction score
Just wondering on thoughts or opinions if wine kits have the same compounds that aid our health that is claimed for commercial wines? Ive heard that kit wines undergo pasterization and the negative pressure process that makes the concentrate must overly processes the wine kits. If this is true why than do some wine kits taste as good or better than their commercially produced counterparts or even as tannic? Im an advocate of less chemicals and sulphites are required for homemade wine where we can perfectly sanitize everything, chase fruit flies around the house ect...activiites that are impossible with big commercial batches that they just resort to chemicals such as tons of sulphites instead. Am i wrong? If our kits go bad or wrong we are not going to have a massive financial losses that a big commercial winery will have, so would they not use excessive chemicals for extra insurance?

Last edited:
My thoughts are that you may be mistaken about commercial wines adding tons of chemicals. They probably add a bit more potassium metabisulphite, but not lots more, just enough to ensure that they don't spill under unknown storage conditions. Most don't add Potassium Sorbate when backsweetening wines, but do use sterile filtration and cooling to remove any leftover yeast.

My thoughts are that you may be mistaken about commercial wines adding tons of chemicals. They probably add a bit more potassium metabisulphite, but not lots more, just enough to ensure that they don't spill under unknown storage conditions. Most don't add Potassium Sorbate when backsweetening wines, but do use sterile filtration and cooling to remove any leftover yeast.

Hmm interesting, i dont backsweeten though i hate sweet wine so i guess thats good as i dont use sorbate either. So would you say kits are on par with commercial wine as far as antioxidants and what not?

as the source for both wines is the same grape juice the benefits from wine of a wine kit and commercial wines is the same. I used to own a winery. the regulations by the government as to what can be added to wine are very stringent. additionally the winery is inspected by the Federal Drug Administration inspector every year. if faults not correct they can shut down the winery. bottom line your commercial wine is fine.

Some sulfite exists naturally in wine. Commercial wineries and kits makers are only going to add an element in the amount needed to get the job done. They only add the amount of K-meta needed(i.e. 50ppm or whatever threshold they have). Everything with them is about cost and producing something they can sell.

The biggest thing with kits is going to be how the juice was processed and concentrated.

As far as other chemicals, almost everything else a wine maker adds is going to be from a natural source tannin, malic acid, tartaric acid, yeast, nutrients, oak, juice, etc. I think most wine chemists are working within those bounds.

Adjusting pH can introduce bicarbonates.

The one thing i dont fully understand is why even the high end wine kits add sugar. Why is this always the case? Apparently the grapes they pick are not ripe enough? It seems most wineries only add sugar if needed and in california its illegal as far as i know.

All of the benefits of wine and alcohol consumption are "potential benefits" and the carcinogenic risk of alcohol is undeniable. The dose is what makes it poison however. Take "health benefits" with a grain of non-sodium salt alternative ;)

what gives you the impression that wine kits have added sugar?
I read the ingredients on one of my celler craft showcase kits thought i remember sugar as one. Maybe it was there cheaper atmosphere kits ...cant recall.

what gives you the impression that wine kits have added sugar?
On that note what makes us think a commercial wine maker doesn't add sugar.
I would expect both commercial wine makers and kit makers to do what is necessary to produce a constant predictable product without adding any cost that can be avoided. Including extra kmeta.

On that note what makes us think a commercial wine maker doesn't add sugar.
I would expect both commercial wine makers and kit makers to do what is necessary to produce a constant predictable product without adding any cost that can be avoided. Including extra kmeta.

California regulations prohibit chaptalization. French regulations do not prohibit it. I do not know the regulations in any other places, but that covers a lot of the wine we drink!

Do California regulations allow the adjustment of alcohol level at the end of the process with Neutral grain spirits? I would think wineries would need some method to ensure alcohol levels are consistent.

Do California regulations allow the adjustment of alcohol level at the end of the process with Neutral grain spirits? I would think wineries would need some method to ensure alcohol levels are consistent.

Forget California, I am pretty sure that federal law does not allow this for "natural wines." See the TTB page here.

Im confused
Im reading hear adding sugar is not allowed, but the ttb page post says it is allowed.
In the begining.
Some adjustment must be allowed some where if the abv % is expected to be accurate.???
Perhaps in wines with price tags that turn my eyes away abv is listed to a decimal but i dont recall seeing them.

More to my point i wouldnt expect any business to add costs that can be avoided, and i am more likely to over dose with kmeta than a winery with calibrated and tested equipment. And qualified scientists doing the testing.
Im testing but if i were to open a winery i think i might take a class or go to a seminar or hire someone to develop a formal testing program.

Im confused
Im reading hear adding sugar is not allowed, but the ttb page post says it is allowed.
In the begining.

Chaptalization is allowed by US federal law. However, California prohibits it. States are allowed to make stricter rules than federal rules, but not less strict ones.

In Canada (or at least Ontario) because Alcohol is so heavily taxed, the big wineries will use Alcohol for minor adjustments on the non vintage blends to ensure accurate alcohol levels.

Latest posts

Back