Other Wine kit scaling up...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
When scaling up the # of kits ya do in a single vessel at one time -- other than a vessel large enough -- anything else that needs to be considered that I'm not thinking about?
(ie...if the # kits scale up, so does the amount of yeast, oak, yadda yadda)

Cheers!

One thing that occurs to me, especially considering the time of year, a greater mass might ferment a bit warmer. Not saying it will but maybe keep a closer eye than usual on the must temps.

I'd also consider using different yeasts to produce complexity.
I like do this too, surprises a lot of people when I let them taste the same wine made with different yeasts!
Just yesterday I racked to secondary 4 FWK Bordeaux batches fermented in 4-10 gal Brutes, each fermented with a different yeast.
I’ve read some of your writing on blending and want to eventually do more than what I do now.

Just yesterday I racked to secondary 4 FWK Bordeaux batches fermented in 4-10 gal Brutes, each fermented with a different yeast.
Let us know how the wines differ.

Most of my blending is a matter of doing research, checking grape characteristics, and then rolling the dice. So far, it's worked well. Eventually I'll get a less than stellar blend. The current surprise is my "Rhone" blend, which is FWK Forte Syrah, Petite Sirah, and Merlot. We like it better than the FWK Forte Super Tuscan. I'm honestly shocked.

Last fall I did triple kits in 32 gallon Brutes. However, in hindsight, I'd ferment them separately to do the limited (14 day) EM.

Have u customized ur Brute(s) at all?

Not yet. I'm considering a new grill and maybe a supercharger. I'm not into the dayglo headlights.

;)

I'm trying to figure out how to seal them to do a short EM, but otherwise, no.
Ha!

Was thinking maybe a bottom spigot 😜 & maybe some Xmas lights! 😆

Was thinking maybe a bottom spigot
I'm not a fan of spigots. Plus I'd need a counter that can hold multiple Brutes with ~150 lbs of grapes in each. I use a transfer pump + filtering jig I created to pump wine out of the Brute, then carry what's left to the press. When racking to and from barrels, I again use the transfer pump.

Figuring how to seal the Brute for a 14 day EM? That would be useful.

I'm not a fan of spigots. Plus I'd need a counter that can hold multiple Brutes with ~150 lbs of grapes in each. I use a transfer pump + filtering jig I created to pump wine out of the Brute, then carry what's left to the press. When racking to and from barrels, I again use the transfer pump.

Figuring how to seal the Brute for a 14 day EM? That would be useful.
Visqueen & some bungee cords -- then snap a brute lid on it?

Last edited:
@winemaker81

Bryan, have you looked at the used plastic barrels that are sold at barrel yards? Here the yards have a blue 30 gal HD plastic barrel, with lid for about $30. These are food grade, and by the smell, often contained pickles or jalapenos. They come with a barrel clamp for the lid, and the lid has a gasket. They also have 55 gal food grade but I've not purchased any of those.

@winemaker81

Bryan, have you looked at the used plastic barrels that are sold at barrel yards? Here the yards have a blue 30 gal HD plastic barrel, with lid for about $30. These are food grade, and by the smell, often contained pickles or jalapenos. They come with a barrel clamp for the lid, and the lid has a gasket. They also have 55 gal food grade but I've not purchased any of those.

I have purchased the pickle barrels that Firehouse Subs sells. I think they are 5 gallon buckets. Mine are probably 3 to 5 years old. I attempted several things to remove the pickle smell, none of which were successful. I use mine to store bird seed and/or sand in, souks not try to make wine in one. (unless it was pickle wine, which does not sound good to me)

have you looked at the used plastic barrels that are sold at barrel yards?
I have a pair of 50 gallon food grade barrels with tight fitting lids and snap rings that seal. I've fermented in them a few times, and my son and rolled them up hill from my walk-out cellar to the front yard where the press is, and there was no leaks. In that respect they work perfect.

For my needs, they don't work well, as I make batches small enough (five or less 36 lb lugs) that I can move myself, and they are too deep for that. They also have smooth surfaces, so picking them up is dangerous, and since they seal tightly I'd be making a grenade if I tried even a limited EM.

The Brutes work great as they are broader and not as deep, and the handles make moving them much easier. I pump the wine out, and my son & I can easily pick up the remaining pomace to carry it to the press.

I'm going to try Brian's idea of Visqueen and some type of stretch cord. I will be doing the 14 day ferment, so sealing it 100% tight is not an issue, 99% is good enough to let excess CO2 escape.

I have a pair of 50 gallon food grade barrels with tight fitting lids and snap rings that seal. I've fermented in them a few times, and my son and rolled them up hill from my walk-out cellar to the front yard where the press is, and there was no leaks. In that respect they work perfect.

For my needs, they don't work well, as I make batches small enough (five or less 36 lb lugs) that I can move myself, and they are too deep for that. They also have smooth surfaces, so picking them up is dangerous, and since they seal tightly I'd be making a grenade if I tried even a limited EM.

The Brutes work great as they are broader and not as deep, and the handles make moving them much easier. I pump the wine out, and my son & I can easily pick up the remaining pomace to carry it to the press.

I'm going to try Brian's idea of Visqueen and some type of stretch cord. I will be doing the 14 day ferment, so sealing it 100% tight is not an issue, 99% is good enough to let excess CO2 escape.
How do you stir the must in these larger vessels?

Last fall I did triple kits in 32 gallon Brutes. However, in hindsight, I'd ferment them separately to do the limited (14 day) EM.

Do u add 5g yeast per 6gal?

I didn't end up doing this. I inoculated on Sunday (10/09), and pressed the following Sunday. I realized that an EM would use up more of the constituents in the pomace and potentially scotch my experiment with FWK + grape pomace. I've been satisfied with my process so far, so the EM on the main batches was unnecessary.

However, I did a 14 Day ferment on the Syrah, Petite Sirah, and Mourvedre.

As I commented in another thread, there is a significant difference between doing a kit EM with 6 gallons of wine and 2 small skin packs, vs. doing EM with grapes where 1/3 of the volume is grape pulp. In Burgundy EM of up to 90 days is done to make long aging wines, and that is not my agenda. The 14 day ferment of the S/PS/M was done to make a beefier wine that will be used for blending, especially in the Grenache. While it originally sounded interesting, I decided against EM of any sort for the main batches.

Next summer we'll judge preliminary bench testing to decide what we do next fall, although the final results of this year's wines will not be known until bottling time, a month after the 2023 grapes are purchased.

Latest posts

Back