Wine kit for sparkling wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, all that makes sense. Regarding riddling and disgorging, I've never been able to figure out a practical home-winery method of freezing that 1 1/2" of the neck of the bottle in order to disgorge the cork with the sediment inside it (assuming plastic corks). Salted ice bath?
I have some success with a jig I made that holds 4 bottles inverted in a bucket with salted ice bath 2 inches deep kept in deep freeze. Just have too keep an eye on them so the whole thing does not freeze.

I also make beer and sparkling cider. I got tired of the sediment and being careful not to disturb it. I ended buying a CO2 bottle and kegging and carbonating my wine, beer or cider. I bought an attachment to bottle from a keg and it works fine.
That sounds interesting. What is the method involved in getting it carbonated directly in the bottle. Or is it carbonated in the keg first and bottle filled from there ..

That sounds interesting. What is the method involved in getting it carbonated directly in the bottle. Or is it carbonated in the keg first and bottle filled from there ..
When I've done it in the past, I carbonate in the keg then use what they call a counter pressure bottle filler (I use it for my beer making) and you put the carbonated keg wine in the bottle, and cork/wrap with wire then. I tend to get lazy and just dispense it from the keg.

If you do use that method, the colder the wine in the keg when you bottle it the better. It retains more of the CO2 in the finished product.

Carbonated in the keg. You need to get the wine cold to have it absorb CO2. I also chill the bottle when filling. Cold liquid ho
When I've done it in the past, I carbonate in the keg then use what they call a counter pressure bottle filler (I use it for my beer making) and you put the carbonated keg wine in the bottle, and cork/wrap with wire then. I tend to get lazy and just dispense it from the keg.

If you do use that method, the colder the wine in the keg when you bottle it the better. It retains more of the CO2 in the finished product.
i agree cold wine needed to absorb enough CO2. I also put the bottles in the freezer before filling. Cold wine hitting a warm bottle can foam up

When I've done it in the past, I carbonate in the keg then use what they call a counter pressure bottle filler (I use it for my beer making) and you put the carbonated keg wine in the bottle, and cork/wrap with wire then.
I too have went away from bottle carbonation and do exactly like you. But I can''t dispense it from the keg because I carbonate the wine heavily and no matter how long my serving tube (3/16") is, I will get to much foam (I tried with over 10 meter). And hence, the wine will only be semi-sparkling. My counter pressure bottle filler looks like this: IMG_1812.jpg

But I can''t dispense it from the keg because I carbonate the wine heavily and no matter how long my serving tube (3/16") is, I will get to much foam (I tried with over 10 meter). And hence, the wine will only be semi-sparkling.
Yeah, it's got to be cold, really cold to dispense it and retain the CO2. It's usually late December and rather cold in the garage (30*F or below). I have learned to not leave it in the keg too long or it will pit the stainless interior.

Back