Wine Kit - aging?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakisPakis

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,
I will make this wine:

LE22 California Pinot Grigio Gewurztraminer Wine Recipe Kit - Winexpert Limited Edition

My question is how do I age it? In bottles? I thought once in a bottle the aging is stopped.
I can buy also used barrel. What is better?
Thanks

Hello,
I will make this wine:

LE22 California Pinot Grigio Gewurztraminer Wine Recipe Kit - Winexpert Limited Edition

My question is how do I age it? In bottles? I thought once in a bottle the aging is stopped.
I can buy also used barrel. What is better?
Thanks
Aging does not stop in bottles but it’s more uniform when the wine is in bulk. If you have the means I would age in bulk for at least 6 months so it can clear naturally then bottle. Make sure you keep the wine cool and dark during aging.

I may get a barrel when the vineyard is producing and my grape supply is consistent. Until then I’ll keep using oak spirals or sticks in glass.

Since you're making a kit, it's likely that use of kieselsol & chitosan will produce a clear wine, but I fully agree with @ChuckD that you want to bulk age at least 4 months, and his recommendation for 6 months is a good one. After bottling, let the wine rest a couple of months to get past any bottle shock, then open one.

A barrel is NOT a container, it's a commitment.

Once you fill a barrel, you must keep it filled, or you'll end up use it as a planter (unfilled barrels crack and/or grow mold). Not all wines are improved by barrel aging, and I would not barrel age a Pinot Grigio / Gewurztraminer. Besides, you'd need to find a 5 US gallon barrel used for white wine. The most common used barrels are 30 to 60 US gallons, meaning you'd need to make at least 6 kits to fill one.

Do a lot of research on barrels before jumping into that arena. Barrels are great, but buying one changes the nature of your winemaking.

Thanks both. Ok I will let it age in glass container for 6 months and then bottle. Question though. As mantioned before the kit comes with kieselsol & chitosan. Should I use those after the 6 months (and only if needed?) Or use them and then transfer the clarified wine into glass for aging 6 months?

Thanks both. Ok I will let it age in glass container for 6 months and then bottle. Question though. As mantioned before the kit comes with kieselsol & chitosan. Should I use those after the 6 months (and only if needed?) Or use them and then transfer the clarified wine into glass for aging 6 months?
When making a kit, I use K&C right after degassing. If your racking is a bit muddy, any remaining sediment drops during bulk aging.

This is what I do. I.e., I hold on to the K&C, and only use it if necessary after ~6 mos. or however long I plan to bulk age it.

This is what I do. I.e., I hold on to the K&C, and only use it if necessary after ~6 mos. or however long I plan to bulk age it.
Hey . Sorry for repeating my initial question but I got confused with some of the terms used. What is bulk aged? And you do not use K&C? I am a bit afraid to do this with the kit I bought now

I purchased the WineXpert LE22 Pinot Grigio. I was afraid to age it before adding K&C. The instructions say that Aging should be done after polishing Rack (Step 4). Step 3 was clearing.

So I will rack the wine into a glass carboy and add 1/4tsp potassium metabisulhite every 3 months. Will do Aging for 6 months.

But I wanted to make sure I got this right. In theory I could not add Kieselsol and Chitosan and age it (glass carboy) for 6 months. Then rack it OR then add kieselsol and Chitosans (how many days in between) and then rack it and bottling once 100% clear? If someone could write the steps as clearly (steps for dummies) as possible for Bulk aging I would be thankful. I want to do that next time.

Bulk aging is keeping the wine in a carboy, the opposite is bottle aging. K&C is a separate question, you only need it if the wine seems slow to clear, I know this sounds ambiguous. If you bulk age for longer than 6-9 months you don’t need K&C but using it may allow you to bottle sooner, since the wine will clear faster. With a white it’s pretty easy to tell if you have sediment. Also pretty easy to tell if the wine looks hazy. Hope this helps.

As @Ohio Bob said, bulk aging is time spent in a carboy or demijohn, as opposed to in bottles.

To try to describe my process simply:

-I move the wine from the fermenting bucket to a glass carboy, and age it for at least 6 mos. No K&C is used up to this point.
-After ~6 mos., I make a decision:
* If the wine is clear, I bottle it without ever using K&C.
*If the wine is NOT clear, I add K&C and re-evaluate.

Last edited:
Hey . Sorry for repeating my initial question but I got confused with some of the terms used. What is bulk aged? And you do not use K&C? I am a bit afraid to do this with the kit I bought now
Winemaking is not a single process. There are many paths that may be taken, and you'll find that experienced winemakers do a lot of different things, and some options may be contrary to each other. This is actually normal.

For your first few kits, I suggest you follow the instructions. Kit instructions are designed for beginners who have no experienced help. Get comfortable with the process before branching out.

Hey now things make sense. Thanks all. One thing that I wondering. As said above I addes K&C and the 6th week I will start aging in carboy. should I use airlock, or a cork , or just a lid,
Thanks

Hey now things make sense. Thanks all. One thing that I wondering. As said above I addes K&C and the 6th week I will start aging in carboy. should I use airlock, or a cork , or just a lid
Use a drilled stopper/airlock or a vented bung. Your goal now is to protect the wine from O2 while it's aging, so you want a tight seal. Solid bungs are a bad idea since a change in temperature and/or air pressure can make them pop.

I wrote a series of detailed blogs that document the winemaking process. You may find reading a few of these valuable.

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/wines-in-detail/

Last edited:
Thanks both. Ok, I will let it age in a glass container for 6 months and then bottle it. Question though. As mentioned before the kit comes with kieselsol & chitosan. Should I use those after the 6 months (and only if needed?) Or use them and then transfer the clarified wine into a glass for age 6 months?
I bottle all my wines when they are finished and have found very little if no difference in the finish or the taste it also allows me to sample as I go, but that's just my way.

Attachments

• pecorino 011.jpg
    pecorino 011.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 0
  • stuff 001.jpg
    stuff 001.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back