Wine Juices

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Consumers Produce will be getting Chilean juices in the begining of May. I am considering ordering a bucket or two. I am looking at getting both a Red and a White. I have a few questions.

What is the process for making wine from the juices?
How long does the process usually take until you can bottle?
Has anyone made a Chilean Viognier? It is one of the juices I'm considering.

Any pointers or suggestions for juices to try. I will likely get more juice in the fall also.

Thanks

I'm on my first two juice buckets. Can't say there is a huge difference between juice and a kit. A kit is juice... concentrated. Kits are better balanced since they go through a degree of processing. They make for consistent wines. Juice on the other hand takes a bit more care and prep. Doing some testing (pH, So2, TA, etc) on your must before you start might be worth your time. Adjust anything that might need to be before you start. Clearing hasn't been as easy as a Kit either. This is where your time difference will be. Patience.
Timing is a matter of you, your temps, your hydrometer and your clearing process.
Make sure you have all chemicals (Kmeta, Sorbate and such) additives (Tartaric Acid, Oak, Tannins, etc) before you get started.
I'm sure others will be more of a help since I'm still basically new to this.

Oh and don't forget a proper yeast. May be wise to pickup some nutrient and possibly some energizer. It sounds like a lot of stuff but most of it is only a couple bucks or so.

Consumers Produce will be getting Chilean juices in the begining of May. I am considering ordering a bucket or two. I am looking at getting both a Red and a White. I have a few questions.

What is the process for making wine from the juices?
How long does the process usually take until you can bottle?
Has anyone made a Chilean Viognier? It is one of the juices I'm considering.

Any pointers or suggestions for juices to try. I will likely get more juice in the fall also.

Thanks

A member of my wine club made the Chilean Viognier and came out great. I am aging a CA all juice Viognier now. I would recommend the Chilean Malbec and Carmenere to start. The juices should come in "balanced" but, would ck the Ph TA and gravity. You may also consider to make a "banna soup" to add for bigger body. I think they could stand more body and dont be afraid to add a good helping (2+ cups)of Med toast oak.

I think I'll stop by the wine and spirits store on the way home from work and pick up a bottle of both for sampling. May pick up a viognier also to try out. I want to get away from the kits and try some juices for now since it is a bit less expensive. Kits gave me a great start and I'll likely do more in the future still but I want to broaden the horizon by trying the juices as well as making some non grape wines.

Did a WE Viognier last year. Come out well. Its a different white. When I bring to functions people always ask what it is. Not a very familiar white but I enjoy it.

I was wondering what varieties of wine grape juices they carry, but I didn't see any list on the website. Does anyone know where to find that? Do they carry most kinds or are there just a few varieties they carry?

Nevermind, I found the order page. Does anyone know of anyplace closer to Northern Michigan to find juice like that? I'd have to buy a lot of juice to justify the $100+ gas bill to get there and back!

For other people who may wonder, here's the list:

CHILEAN BARBERA JUICE BUCKET 6 GAL. $46.00
CHILEAN CABERNET FRANC JUICE 6 GAL. $48.00
CHILEAN CARMENERE JUICE BUCKET 6 GAL. $49.00
CHILEAN CABERNET SAUVIGNON BKT 6 GAL. $49.00
CHILEAN CHARDONNAY JUICE BKT 6 GAL. $45.00
CHILEAN CHIANTI JUICE BUCKET 6 GAL. $46.00
CHILEAN MALBEC JUICE BUCKET 6 GAL. $49.00
CHILEAN MERLOT JUICE BUCKET 6 GAL. $48.00
CHILEAN MUSCAT JUICE BUCKET 6 GAL. $45.00
CHILEAN PINOT NOIR JUICE BKT 6 GAL. $51.00
CHILEAN PINOT GRIGIO JUICE BKT 6 GAL. $48.00
CHILEAN SYRAH JUICE BUCKET 6 GAL. $48.00
CHILEAN VIOGNIER JUICE BUCKET 6 GAL. $48.00
CHILEAN ZINFANDEL JUICE BUCKET 6 GAL. $51.00

Nevermind, I found the order page. Does anyone know of anyplace closer to Northern Michigan to find juice like that? I'd have to buy a lot of juice to justify the $100+ gas bill to get there and back!

For other people who may wonder, here's the list:

CHILEAN BARBERA JUICE BUCKET 6 GAL. $46.00
CHILEAN CABERNET FRANC JUICE 6 GAL. $48.00
CHILEAN CARMENERE JUICE BUCKET 6 GAL. $49.00
CHILEAN CABERNET SAUVIGNON BKT 6 GAL. $49.00
CHILEAN CHARDONNAY JUICE BKT 6 GAL. $45.00
CHILEAN CHIANTI JUICE BUCKET 6 GAL. $46.00
CHILEAN MALBEC JUICE BUCKET 6 GAL. $49.00
CHILEAN MERLOT JUICE BUCKET 6 GAL. $48.00
CHILEAN MUSCAT JUICE BUCKET 6 GAL. $45.00
CHILEAN PINOT NOIR JUICE BKT 6 GAL. $51.00
CHILEAN PINOT GRIGIO JUICE BKT 6 GAL. $48.00
CHILEAN SYRAH JUICE BUCKET 6 GAL. $48.00
CHILEAN VIOGNIER JUICE BUCKET 6 GAL. $48.00
CHILEAN ZINFANDEL JUICE BUCKET 6 GAL. $51.00

For that matter, does anyone know of places to get this sort of thing in Southern California? Specifically around the Los Angeles/Orange County area?

I know I can P/U here in South Jersey / Philly area

Doug, I've been making wine from
Calif. juice for a few years now. Bought all from Premier Produce in the strip too. I'm interested in doing some Chilian wine, I'll check out your produce guy. Glad I won't have to go far.

As far as wine from juice it's very easy. Just need to be patient. I can help you if you need assistance.

Calif. juice for a few years now. Bought all from Premier Produce in the strip too. I'm interested in doing some Chilian wine, I'll check out your produce guy. Glad I won't have to go far.

As far as wine from juice it's very easy. Just need to be patient. I can help you if you need assistance.

I have a friend at work that has done this for years, I actually tried to get juice before I bought the kit. I'm looking forward to trying this. Stopped and bought a Malbec, Carmener (sp) and a Viognier on the way home. I guess we'll have something to do when the snow hits tomorrow. Been hearing on the FD radio abt the winter storm warning from Noon tomorrow until 6:00 pm Saturday. Calling for 6-12 inches...Got wine?

:u
Well I have a BIG selection in my wine cellar for the 12+" comming Fri/Sat. I may not get bread and milk but I will not be thursty ! :ib

:u I picked up a bottle of Viognier, Carmener and a bottle of Malbec on the way home. I'm no connoisseur of wine, actually until decided to make wine last year I hadn't had any alcohol for almost 10 years (personal choice). Its difficult to explain my tastes given that fact and my lack of knowlege of wine.

We tried the Viognier, it definately was not our taste in white wine. To me it was heavy (I guess you would call that full bodied) and sweet but not fruity sweet, to me it also had a strange after taste. I could drink this, but definately would not be a first choice in a white. If we buy a white it is generally a White Zinfindel, a Pinot Grigio or maybe a White Merlot usually.

We also tried the Carmener, to me it had a wonderful aroma when it was uncorked and also in the glass. My wife didn't like it. I liked the flavor and there was no bad after taste, however, still a bit to dry and heavy tasting for my likes right now. This one could definately grow on me. When purchasing reds now my wife generally doesnt like a heavy dry wine. We made the Valpolicella, and although we drank it way to early, we both really enjoyed that and the remaining 10 bottles get better and better with each one we open.

I'm looking forward to trying the Malbec this weekend. I'll let you know what I think.

I think I'm even more confused about what juices to try now than before I started.:slp

Sorry to hear you didnt like them. Were those bottles from Chile? also the price would make a difference. Shoot for &15.00 range. Keep in mind most big reds will be dry. P/U a Chilean Red Zenfandel next then. Cant go wrong w/ Pinot Noir. If the Cab/Merlot blend is offered SWMBO loves that.

on a technical note, white zin and white merlot are blush wines, not whites.
based on your stated preferences, i am guessing you like off-dry whites over fully dry whites... so for kits start reading the sweetness indexes on the kit sites and look for whites which have an f-pack addition and sweetness above 1... some sweetened rieslings come to mind. also be aware that if you make a dry white wine you can always back sweeten it to taste either by the glass or prior to bottling with some simple bench trials to determine the right level of sweetness and then addition of a sugar solution or fresh juice to bring it back to your liking.

as to reds, if light reds are your preference, look at valpolicella, beaujolais, nebbiolo, gamay, light rioja, cabernet franc, etc. fruit-forward wines with light or no oak can give the sensation of being on the sweeter side even when fermented dry because their fruitiness is so pronounced. low tannins also help with this effect. you might also be interested in some of the fruit-wine based Mist kits, blueberry merlot, etc. these kits use red varietals combined with fresh fruit to arrive at a slightly sweeter and fruitier red wine... they are low alcohol by the instructions but there are tweaks to up the alcohol content into the 12-14 range for typical red wines if desired.

as your palate develops and you sample more wine you will see your preference change over time i bet. the advantage of the mist kits is that they are ready to drink within weeks of bottling.

Sorry to hear you didnt like them. Were those bottles from Chile? also the price would make a difference. Shoot for &15.00 range. Keep in mind most big reds will be dry. P/U a Chilean Red Zenfandel next then. Cant go wrong w/ Pinot Noir. If the Cab/Merlot blend is offered SWMBO loves that.

Yes, all 3 were from Chile. I'm still exploring options, the Carmener was good, just not to my taste just yet.

rawlus said:
on a technical note, white zin and white merlot are blush wines, not whites.
based on your stated preferences, i am guessing you like off-dry whites over fully dry whites... so for kits start reading the sweetness indexes on the kit sites and look for whites which have an f-pack addition and sweetness above 1... some sweetened rieslings come to mind. also be aware that if you make a dry white wine you can always back sweeten it to taste either by the glass or prior to bottling with some simple bench trials to determine the right level of sweetness and then addition of a sugar solution or fresh juice to bring it back to your liking.

as to reds, if light reds are your preference, look at valpolicella, beaujolais, nebbiolo, gamay, light rioja, cabernet franc, etc. fruit-forward wines with light or no oak can give the sensation of being on the sweeter side even when fermented dry because their fruitiness is so pronounced. low tannins also help with this effect. you might also be interested in some of the fruit-wine based Mist kits, blueberry merlot, etc. these kits use red varietals combined with fresh fruit to arrive at a slightly sweeter and fruitier red wine... they are low alcohol by the instructions but there are tweaks to up the alcohol content into the 12-14 range for typical red wines if desired.

as your palate develops and you sample more wine you will see your preference change over time i bet. the advantage of the mist kits is that they are ready to drink within weeks of bottling.

I did know they weren't truely whites. Thanks for the other suggestions for reds. I'll have to check those out next time we are at the wine and spirits store.

As I stated, not a real big wine drinker so I have not experienced many of the differing types out there. I'm sure as I try more my palate will develope. In the mean time, I appreciate all the suggestions as to what may be a better match to the taste I have described.

Last edited:

Hey DJ , I understand there is also a produce company up in the Sharon/Hermitage area that also brings in a very good juice. I don't know the name of it but that a very small area that it would be easy to figure out if you wanted to check it out.

Placed my pre-order today for a bucket of Cabernet Franc and also a bucket of Pinot Grigio. I will pick it up May 11th from Consumer Produce in the Strip District. Looking forward to getting away from a kit product and going to fresh juices. I will likely order again in the fall when the get other juice in.

What is the average yield from Juice buckets after racking etc if one were to use a 5 gallon carboy and a 1 gallon jug vs a 6 gallon carboy. What's lost due to lees? I realize this can be topped up with a like wine. Just curious of the output if I didn't top up?

Whoo Hooo I can't wait.

Latest posts

Back