Wine is flawed, how and what?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inverted

Reaction score
So I have a cab that has been aging for about 2 months and unfortunately I think I have to toss it. I made this one from cab grapes that a friend gave me. I tasted the wine today and it is obviously flawed. The nose is off but the pallet is really where things are bad. It tastes like rotten meat. I am thinking it might be Brett but I don't necessarily get the barnyard funk. Is there anything to be done?

I wouldn't dump it...two months, it is just getting started. I'm sure someone will chime in with more info.

Besides it might make an awesome vinegar...vinegar make a decent weed killer...it has other uses besides just wine.

You would have to work pretty hard (unsanitary conditions) to have Brett outside of an old barrel that has not been taken care of properly.

How many times have you racked the wine since pressing, did this wine go through malolactic fermentation, if so, any sulfite added after ML? It may just be H2S that shifted to mercaptans etc.

I did not put it though MLF, it's beeen about 2 months or a little more. I just racked it 2 weeks ago into smaller carboys. So what is to be done at this point?

I'd .5 micron filter, splash rack, hit it hard with SO2 and put it back in container. Check it again in 3 months and either toss or add more SO2 and age some more.
I had 30 gallons of beautiful Barbera from the 2015 harvest. I over oaked it and my wife had to convince me not to dump it. It has really changed after 5 months in the bottle. Not my favorite, but all who drink it agree that it's very drinkable and if you like an oaky wine they like it.

I would try a quick bench trial with copper, ascorbic acid plus copper, just to determine if there would be any improvement. If no improvement, then you really have nothing to lose, you might as well experiment and learn what can be done with this type of problem. You could do as Norcal suggests. The Noblesse document is suggesting fining with Noblesse followed by filtration followed by more Noblesse and oak aging, much depends on the equipment and experience you have.

I don't get an overt rotten egg smell, but I am wondering if it is an H2S issue. I have 3 kits going right now, and this wine going which I made from grapes I crushed. I used BM45 with Fermaid O, and this was the only batch that had a stalled fermentation. I am thinking I was off on the amount of BM45 that I needed to add, as well as not adding enough Fermaid O and maybe I stressed the yeast too much. I ended up adding EC-1118 that I had left over to finish it off.

I may try copper next. Can this be purchased at wine and beer places?

Morewine has it for about 1/3 of what it will cost you to get it shipped. :p

Could be mercaptans.

So, when you say that you racked the wine 2 weeks ago, and the wine is 2 months old, are you saying that the wine was sitting on the gross lees for 6 weeks?

If that is the case, I would definitely put my money on it being sulfur related. I would splash rack to see if that can improve things, then try a copper treatment of choice.

Could be mercaptans.

So, when you say that you racked the wine 2 weeks ago, and the wine is 2 months old, are you saying that the wine was sitting on the gross lees for 6 weeks?

If that is the case, I would definitely put my money on it being sulfur related. I would splash rack to see if that can improve things, then try a copper treatment of choice.

What is mercaptans?

I say rack, but I took the wine from secondary to bulk aging and put it on oak. The wine was on lees for maybe a month.

I splash racked the wine twice today, and added Kuzpit to try and clear the issue. I will report back.

What is mercaptans?

I say rack, but I took the wine from secondary to bulk aging and put it on oak. The wine was on lees for maybe a month.

I splash racked the wine twice today, and added Kuzpit to try and clear the issue. I will report back.

How has this turned out, any new info?

Latest posts

Back