Wine is close to ready for bottling, need instructions!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
My first batch of wine (1 gallon of pineapple) was started in Aug and has been racked 3 times. The SG is 0.090 and hasn't moved in months. It's looking very clear and there doesn't seem to be any sediment falling out of it. I think that I'm almost ready to bottle it... I know that I have to stablize it first but I'm not exactly sure how to do it.

Also, should I rack it one more time, or stablize first? Will stablization cause more sediment to drop? I know that I have to let it sit for a few more wks to make sure that it doesn't re-ferment after stablization, so in a sense, I'll be racking it when I bottle.

PS: I'm not planning on sweetening it.

Thanks!

You should have added the stabilizers a while back. That being said add 1/16th tsp of K-Meta, mix in small amt of wine or water and add to another gallon jug. Rack into that and degas. Then add 1/2 tsp sorbate, mixed well

If you've added the required sulfite at every other racking and you aren't going to sweeten then it's already stabilized. Sorbate is added if you plan to add sweetener. Add 1 crushed and dissolved campden tblt now and bottle if clear.

As long as you've had an airlock on it I wouldn't add anything else to it unless you would sweeten it.

Remove airlock, take a paper towel sprayed with potassium meta. and wipe the inside of the neck of the carboy as best you can without touching the wine. Then siphon into your bottles and cork. Sanitize your corks too. I use the synthetic ones.

Set bottles upright for a day then shelf them a few months.
Ake sure you sample a little now.

So I don't need to add sorbate unless I sweeten? That makes sense since it's already done fermenting, and I'm not adding any additional food for the yeast.

Yes, I added a campden tablet at every other racking. ie. racking # 2 and I was planning to add another one during racking # 4.

It's been sitting under an airlock and I've already degassed it. I'll add a campden and bottle it!

Can't speak for others but I only rack twice. Once after fermenting where I add my fining agent with @ 1/4 teaspoon Pot. Meta, then 6 weeks later after the wine has cleared. The second racking will get just a pinch of P. M

6 months later for white and fruit, about 1 year for reds I bottle and add nothing to the wine

I have never had a problem. The wine is kept out of sunlight, away from any vibration and kept cool. What do others do / think. The wine is protected via airlock. This was how I was taught.

"Chai, Garlic, Jalapeno, Ginger, Pineapple"

Hmm, interesting. Is that all together in one bottle?

"Chai, Garlic, Jalapeno, Ginger, Pineapple"

Hmm, interesting. Is that all together in one bottle?

Ha, nope, each one is a batch. Can't wait to try stir-fried shrimp with a splash of jalapeno wine... yummy!

Back