Wine in carboy expanded

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoneyGuy

Reaction score
My house was cool so I put a heat belt on a carboy of Merlot as I wanted to get a bit more fermentation out of it and I left it for about three days. I went to look at it and the heat must have caused the wine to expand as it went up into the air lock. I emptied the air lock and put some more water into it and once I took the heat belt off it contracted to where it is supposed to be in the carboy and now it's all fine. I had a minimum of head space in the carboy before the wine tried to escape out of the air lock so maybe that was a mistake.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Generally barometric pressure will cause your wine to expand and contract, not sure if the heat belt can also do this. Though I've never experienced it to such a degree I've heard others report before that they've gone to there wine room and found several of their carboys have done the air lock escape trick.

Can this happen in the bottles as well? This past summer I had one bottle pop it's cork. The wine that was left in the bottle tasted fine. I think that maybe this bottle had more wine in it than the others and when the pressure changed it forced the cork out. The cork was about 10 feet away. We have had a lot of severe storms this summer.

Not really because there is so much LESS volume. If you got a popped cork that means;
Did not degass enough
Bottled and wine not finished
Did not add enough Sorbate or did not mix well

Not really because there is so much LESS volume. If you got a popped cork that means;
Did not degass enough
Bottled and wine not finished
Did not add enough Sorbate or did not mix well

It was degassed, I am confident on that. I am very anal about making sure I add the right amount of chemicals to my wine. This leaves it to mixing well and all I do is give it a quick stir

Well you better get movin on that drinkin, did you drink the pee yet?

It was degassed, I am confident on that. I am very anal about making sure I add the right amount of chemicals to my wine. This leaves it to mixing well and all I do is give it a quick stir

Julie said "anal".

This is my first time in the corner. Where are the refreshments?

Tom...

4814014643_b2e1da67c5.jpg

Latest posts

Back