Wine in car boys sitting too long

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ehopkins

Junior
Reaction score
Hi there, new to winemaking, but this is a question about someone else's wine.

I was given two carboys of homemade wine, in the secondary fermentation phase. This was at least two years ago. I didn't have time to do anything with the wine, and so since then the solution in the air locks dried up, and there is a thin white layer of some organism on top of each batch. But it smells pretty good. Is it possible it's drinkable?

Thanks for any info.

Eddy

First thing is to rack the wine from the bottom, leaving plenty of margin to not get any of the bacteria in the racked wine. Top it with a commercial wine of like variety. Taste it. If it's good, add 50ppm SO2 let it sit for a week, taste again. If it's still taste good, bottle it.

Definitely go for it. No harm in trying. Long as that white film is left behind, And truly is just just a film and not actual growth particles i'd say you've got a good chance of having decent wine. (it would look like tiny yeast or rice particles. Google Mycoderma aka "flowers of wine" If you are unsure)

Latest posts

Back