Quantcast

Wine in 1st transfer carboy untouched for 8 months

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Pulione

Reaction score
Good Morning: We returned home after 7 months, prior to leaving the family that I thought would transfer the wine for me failed to do so. It has been in the 1st carboy from the fermenter for the past 8 months. It is Merlot - 2 - 5 gal. carboys.
Will it still be good - any suggestions how to proceed.
Thanks for the help.

I also was contacted in November about a donation, I think that I made it, (I tried) how do I confirm that it went thru???
Thanks again.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
I'd start by smelling the wine. There is most likely nothing unsafe about it, but it may be a little unsavory. Take a sniff, take a sip, see what you think.

Regarding your donation, you have a "WMT Supporter" tag under your avatar, so it looks like it went through.

Pulione

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, sorry for the delay in replying - there is just so much that needs to be done.
I really appreciate the help, as no more harm can come to the 2 carboys, they are still intact under lock, they are just going to have to wait their turn.
I will post a update when the tasting is complete.
Thanks again, take care.

BigSell

Reaction score
Just curious, what is considered a “safe” amount of time to leave second racking on the lees? I was not paying attention while vacuum racking from secondary fermentation carboy to what I hoped would be a 3 month aging carboy but sucked up a lot of the lees. Wine has a SG of .994 and I added K-met.

Thoughts?

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
Just curious, what is considered a “safe” amount of time to leave second racking on the lees? I was not paying attention while vacuum racking from secondary fermentation carboy to what I hoped would be a 3 month aging carboy but sucked up a lot of the lees. Wine has a SG of .994 and I added K-met.

Thoughts?
My thoughts are don't lose a second of sleep over it. I often pick up a bunch of the lees on the second racking, they fall out and no adverse effects. I really only worry about getting anything on the first racking of from grapes wines, kits, fruit wines, I'll take as much as I can get.

BigSell

Reaction score
Thanks, so it’s let it age until the next racking at 3 months.

cooknhogz

Reaction score
I’m really surprised the airlocks didn’t go dry that long. I have to add water every 2-3 months

Latest posts