Wine Ice Cream

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Cabernet Chocolate is sounding nice but I may have to make my own as the Icecream Parlour is a little far away for me:h

The one winery we visited down in NC, Dennis Vineyards, had wine slushies, they were very tasty.

And on another wine forum this recipe was posted to make your own wine ice cream

Red wine ice Cream
Makes about 1 quart

Ingredients

1 bottle fruity red wine, such as Beaujolais or Zinfandel
1 cup milk (I use skim)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup pasteurized egg substitute (recommend "Egg Beaters")
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method

Pour wine into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the wine is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 45 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the sugar, milk, and egg substitute with an electric mixer on high for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the reduced wine (don't add all at once, or the hot mixture may cause the eggs to set). Stir in the cream, cinnamon, and vanilla extract.

Put the mixing bowl in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours to chill. Process in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. It will look like soft serve ice cream at this point. For better texture, freeze for an additional 3-4 hours before serving.

By boiling you will flash off the alcohol. This product MUST be sold to those who has a liquor license. They say it has 5% in it. So, only in restaurants or bars here in NJ.

I tend to make my own ice cream. I have used wine in it and find the very fruity ones to be lovely. Lemon/ginger is also very good.

Finally! A post about something in my neck of the woods. I have a Mercers just 5 minutes from work. This wine ice cream is excellent. My favorite is the raspberry chard. Hope you guys enjoy it.

Tell us more. I have one of the "big" guys coming to my wine club meeting in June. How do they claim 5% alcohol? Can you taste the alcohol?

Different wines

Yes! this is what I am talking about. Are there recipes with different wines. Can do a wine (ice cream tasting) Don't laugh, if done right can be great.

Latest posts

Back