Wine Headache?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSNET

Junior
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone else has had this problem?

We made a batch of Pinotage. Tastes great!

Every time we drink a bottle ( my wife and I ),
it seems to give us both a headache the next day.

Just 1 bottle, split between us. Nothing else to drink.

Jim

Too much Sulfite perhaps?Did you keep track of your additions? If so how much did you add?

What kit was this?

It was a Cellar craft kit.
We just used what was in the kit,
not smart enough to add/subtract
other ingredients!

Jim

Do you get headaches from eating maraschino cherries, golden raisins, or dried figs and apricots? What about white wines? If not, I wouldn't be too quick to blame the sulfites.

Potassium Sorbate is also known to cause of headaches in some individuals. Try leaving it out of your next batch. Its not really needed as long as your sanitizing everything properly and the wine is fermented to dry (no back sweetening). It prevents refermentation in the bottle.

Tannins are believed by some professionals to be the cause of many red wine headaches. Also, higher alcohol will result in more chance of a headache.

Steve

Yep, tannins and red wines often contain histamines as well, which a lot of people attribute to "allergic to sulphites". I actually do know someone allergic to sulphites, and they can't even drink most commercial juices, let alone any dried or preserved fruit, and even nuts too.

Histamines cause a reaction in people on red wines. However, headache can also mean a bit of stressed fermentation as fusels can be created by the yeast in greater concentration. Fusels, in popular belief, are what give the hangover effects of alcohol consumption.

On a reverse note, I now have a friend whose wife thinks I am a "healer". She has had severe headaches for years, not migraines either. Nothing the doctors have triesd would alleviate them. I gave them a couple of bottles of one of my Ports a couple of months ago and when she came down with a headache, Lynn gave a glass of the Port to try to help her relax and she said in 5 minutes, her headache was gone. It has worked consistently and Lynn saidshe guards those bottles like a mama hen with chicks

I have made a dozen or so batches of different reds,
and so far this Pinotage is the only one that gave us
a headache, (except for over indulgence).

I'll try leaving the sobate out if I make it again.

Thanks

Jim

Waldo, sounds like you better have plenty of this in stock at all times! I think Im getting a headache right now as a matter of fact! How fast do you think you can get a bottle of that over here!
smiley36.gif

My Wife always says she has a headache.........
smiley4.gif

Can I get a bottle (or two) of that miracle elixir as well!

Matbe I could start marketing it

Here is the label I made for what I sent her and she loved it

jillwine-OL475.jpg

Dr. Waldo,
What do you Prescribe for a Sore Toe?
smiley36.gif

I think I need a bottle of it!!!!

It very well could actually be the alcohols. I suffer from the headaches and dry mouth and nose myself and always blew it off to the sulfites or tannins. I get the same sensation from higher alcohol level beer though as well so I am thinking it is the alcohol. I can drink a gallon of fruit juice that has sulfites with no ill effect.

Smurfe, if a gallon of fruit juice doesn't bother you, in the interest of scientific experimentation, you might try a gallon of Waldo's port and see if you get a headache.
smiley5.gif

Arden said:
Smurfe, if a gallon of fruit juice doesn't bother you, in the interest of scientific experimentation, you might try a gallon of Waldo's port and see if you get a headache.
smiley5.gif

I have had Waldo's Port, great stuff but yeah, I still got the headache. I have never let that deter me though.
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back