Wine Glass Reference?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jet

Reaction score
Can anyone point me to a good reference detailing the how's and why's of different types of wine glasses?

TIA

Okay I was hoping others would jump in on this as I'm not the expert here.

Fluted glasses are for champagne. The narrow design allows an extended flow of bubbles rather than all at once.

Wide glasses are for whites while a slighter smaller and narrower glass is for reds. You should not use a colored glass for reds.

Glasses curve inward as it approaches the top as to hold the aroma. You don't (usually) fill to the top so you may swirl the wine and see it's "legs" remaining wine as it descends back to the bottom. Angling the glass to thin the wine you are able to see the true color of the wine. Different types and it's age all effect the color.

Once you've passed over all that you can drink out of whatever you like as long as you enjoy your wine.

I will drink out of any size / shape wine glass :sm :dg:dg:dg

I will drink out of any size / shape wine glass :sm :dg:dg:dg

Ask long as it is a wine glass. I went to a small bar once (it is where my brother likes to go for hot sausage sandwichs, they are very good) and I asked for a glass of Riunite Lambrusco (I had figured this was probably the best I could ask for here) and they gave it to me in a draft glass filled with ice!! :sh

I have wine glasses and thats as far as I go, no clue what type for what wine.

I go to IKEA and get what they have. Last month I bought 24 for under a dollar apiece.

I'm actually looking for something a little more technical. I want to know why a Bordeaux glass is different than a Burgundy.

The Bordeaux Glass for Red Wine
A typical size of the Bordeaux glass for red wine has about a bowl diameter of 3.75" and height 9". Designed for full bodied and very matured wines where sometimes decanting is not advisable, the big bowl allows for fuller and instant oxygenation. The big bowl also provides lots of space for the aroma to be captivated, and at the same time also lots of swirling room.

The thin rim decides the flow of wine to either the top or below the front zone of the tongue, allowing nutty, fruity, or spicy flavors to dominate, before the feel of tannins are directed towards the back of the tongue.

Notwithstanding its original design intention, there is no reason why it should not be used for wines that are less matured, and where one enjoys more aggressive swirling.

The Burgundy
With height almost similar to that of Bordeaux, the Burgundy has a larger bowl diameter, about an inch more at 4.24". This is to provide the flow angle due to its wider rim.

The wide rim directs the flow right over the front and center zones of the tongue, playing down acidity and accentuating the rounder, mellower qualities of the wine.

Does this help?

Wine Glasses -- Serving Wine In The Proper Glass
This lens provides a few good tips, on which type of wine to serve in which type of wine glass. Plus, the rational that will explain the why's of using the proper wine glasses.

By Sharon Stajda,

Are you confused yet? Is it really that important which wine glass is used to serve a glass of wine? Well, let's explore the matter...

The wine revolution is doing more than just changing how, and where wine is grown, and produced. It is also changing the way we chose to serve wine. Wine can be savored, in a Dixie cup as well as a beautiful cut glass stemware. However, - A wine glass just seems to set the mood better than a Dixie Cup? The proper wine glass can also provide the wine with the right conditions to "open up" as to say.

Manufactures that make wine glasses take the art of glass making to the highest level of craftsmanship. Making sure to produce glasses that are designed to bring-out the best tastes in certain wine varieties. A good Sauterne wine is best served in a glass with turned in edges. This enables the wine to hit the tongue in just the right area that the taster can enjoy the sweetness of the wine by being able to roll it around over the tongue.
As a rule hearty full bodied Red wines will be better served in a large bulbous wine glass. This type of glass serves to let wine breath a bit, and give an open cavern for the wine aroma to be enjoyed.

In the Italian country side, wine may be sipped from small cups or small drinking glasses. This may be partly due to the fact that the glass or cup is sturdy, and will endure the numerous rounds of toasts, and glass-banging that can occur over the course of a single spirited meal. It also may be due to the fresh Italian wines are consumed with each meal, and are wines that are not long aged, so need not be served in a larger wine glass. They are fresh and light, and do not require much breathing room...

Champagne glasses are narrow, and tall. This let one see the bubbles stream from bottom up. Remember small streaming bubbles indicate a good Champagne.

I love wine, and have had so much fun writing, and building several Squidoo lenses on the very subject. I wanted to make it easy, and convienent for my wine loving readers to have a look see at all my wine related sites, under one pergola - so to speak. If you have stumbled into this page, and love wine? I have put together some great informational lenses. So please stop in.

http://www.squidoo.com/sharswineinfo/

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-vBVF8Y1cs&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-vBVF8Y1cs&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

HTML:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-vBVF8Y1cs&feature=player_embedded

Julie and AlFulchino, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

What about other wines, like Petite Sirah or Sauvignon Blanc? Also, why are there different style glasses for the same wine (e.g. Pinot Noir)?

I prefer the pint size Mason Jars used for canning, I use the quart size when adding ice, and sometimes when I'm not. LOL

Back