wine froze

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wine

Reaction score
I live in mn ,,, we made some wine last fall ,,, fogot all about it til after it was froze (jan ) now we tasted it ,,,it was cear ,, but no Alcohol taste ,, gave the jug a good shake and tasted again that stuff will knock you on you butt ,, don't know why its so strong but it is .. why was there no Alcohol at first

I'm not sure how true this is but I do believe that alcohol will separate a bit from the water over time. If you pulled it from the bottom that may be the case ?

I always rack prior to bottling to make sure all bottles are the same.

It will separate VPM, provided it remains very still for a very long time.

Could it be that the wine was partially frozen when tasted? Partial crystallization would explain why the wine was so strong and by taking a strong sample off the carboy, and allowing the wine to completely thaw, the all over abv would have been lowered.

If it froze solid it may have separated just enough to not taste much alcohol at first until you mixed things back up. Have never performed this experiment but in theory it's possible I suppose.

there was no Alcohol in the glass that I poured off ,, as I drank it and no warming in side ,,, my shaking the jug ,made it give warming when drank

Back