Quantcast

Wine from grapes - Concorde

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

adrianvas12

Reaction score
Greetings.
I am back to the forum with the new grapes season. This year I am making wine from Concorde and I was wondering if i can ask for your advice and help again.
I did it last year and things did not go too well - did not add anything; just crushed and pressed into a carboy. I would like to follow the "rules" but with less chemicals as possible.

Currently, the grapes are crushed, with stems on - no chemicals added. About 500 lbs of grapes. We are planning on pressing Wednesday.

I was thinking to add sugar and yeast; not sure what type to be hones.
What do you think?

Thank you.
Adrian

grapeman

Administrator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
To get the dicussion rolling I would say the first thing you need is to know the sugar level in the grapes to determine if you need to add any. I would also try and get the stems out as they will give the wine a "green" taste. I don't crush Concord right away but ferment it on the skins for a while to get a better color. I add the yeast to it the second day and punch down the cap for about a week before pressing and letting it finish fermenting.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What grape man said.

adrianvas12

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
I will definetively check the sugar. We did not remove the stems since that will be a lot of manual work - the crusher that we have cannot do that. We did let the must ferment for about 4 days now.
Also I did not add any yeast at all - will it be OK to add it after pressing was done?

grapeman

Administrator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
No it will not be OK. It weill be relying on wild yeast which will give unknown results. A packet of yeast is cheap. Get one now and add it. You normally add yeast before pressing reds.
Yes it is a lot of hand work but should be done. You can use a course mesh screen placed over a barrel, put the must on it and gentle work it back and forth and the grapes drop through and catch the stems.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with Grapeman, get the stems out of their and add Yeast now. What is your brix? Concord are usually picked from 15-18 brix. You'll need to add sugar to make up the difference. Crushing Concord before pressing for color is a good idea if you're picking early. Later in the harvest you get more color when pressing. I just pour enzymes on them the day they are picked, then crush and press the next day.

Latest posts