Wine from fruit cocktail?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitasch

Junior
Reaction score
I have a five 100 oz cans of mixed fruit..... The best by date is 4-30-09, my kids are freaky about checking the dates on canned food, and they think this stuff magically goes bad the day on the can.....so I was thinking, can I some how use this stuff up by making it into wine?

I looked for recipes and cannot find any..

any suggestions?
**the fruit is pinneapple, mango, papaya, pear, peaches, and one can has cherries all in light syrup (very little)

Last edited:
As long as sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, or other yeast inhibiting preservatives aren't listed in the ingrediants, I don't see why not.

I would avoid set "recipes", since you'll probably not know how much sugar is already in the fruit or what the acid level is. You'll need to measure these things and adjust as necessary. You'll also need pectic enzyme depending on the fruit. I'd add 1/2 teaspoon per gallon as a matter of safety, and to help break down the already soft fruit once you empty it all into a primary. If you have a press, I'd press the soft fruit before fermentation. You may want to also add some grape tannin before fermentation - perhaps just 1/8th teaspoon per gallon in order to keep things light. You can always adjust tannin again to taste after its done.

I would add around 3/4 -1 gallon of water to every 100 oz can and adjust acid and sugar from there. I would not go any higher then 1.085 with the starting sg on this wine as the flavors of this can get lost in the abv evry easily. I did a Pear wine sing these cans and it turned out very much like a Chablis. I was very impressed!

Latest posts

Back