Wine from concentrate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheryl

Junior
Reaction score
when using sun cal concentrate, I've heard 1-3 cans concentrate for a5 gal batch.....I want to use one can for 3 gals.... For the acid blend, nutrient and tannin, do I use the amount for 3 gals of water or what is listed on can for 1 can per 5 gal batch?. Their amounts are 5T acid, 5t nutrient, 1t tannin.

Thanks

I’m pretty sure the instructions on the label say 1 can makes 2.5g of wine. Your ratio will likely produce a thin wine. However, you’re the winemaker. Go for it.

As a note, there’s a reason other winemakers reduce the amount of water by adding 3 cans for a 6g batch. Must be some level of dissatisfaction in following the instructions.

Last edited:
when using sun cal concentrate, I've heard 1-3 cans concentrate for a5 gal batch.....I want to use one can for 3 gals.... For the acid blend, nutrient and tannin, do I use the amount for 3 gals of water or what is listed on can for 1 can per 5 gal batch?. Their amounts are 5T acid, 5t nutrient, 1t tannin.

Thanks
I’m pretty sure the instructions on the label say 1 can makes 2.5g of wine. Your ratio will likely produce a thin wine. However, you’re the winemaker. Go for it.

As a note, there’s a reason other winemakers reduce the amount of water by adding 3 cans for a 6g batch. Must be some level of dissatisfaction in following the instructions.
The can says 46 ounces, use 13 cans full of water.....I think that's 5 gals..... Is used appropriate chemicals for 3 gals water.

Thanks

When I last did the Sun Cal concentrates, I found that the acid was correct right out of the can. I did not add any. Also, I always used less water than called for. From my notes, I used 3 cans of concentrate with 12 cans of water. After fermentation, it was less than 5 gallons.

I would recommend more concentrate. Perhaps, 2 cans of concentrate and make up water to 3+ gallons. Check your S.G., because you may want to add a bit of sugar to get the alcohol you expect.

Latest posts

Back