Wine fountain

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. This post is a followup to my long MLF post. If you have been keeping up, You will know that I used W4007 and WLP 675. After 13 weeks chromatography paper showed Malo still in the wine and the consensus was that it never really started. There have been issues with both those strains. So I decided to inoculate with CH35. Before doing that I dropped the level in my carboy by about 4"-5" and added the opto malo nutrient mixed with a small amount of wine. Within seconds, I had a wine fountain coming out of the top of the carboy. This I never expected thinking the 4007 and 675 were dead. So here is my question. Did the opti malo nutrient wake up the 4007 and 675 and if so, do I need to add the CH35? Thanks.

It sounds more like CO2 dissolved in the wine is gathering on all the nucleation points of the material (the nutrient). When there's that much gas coming out of solution all at once... well - you got to experience the result.
Oh yeah that was fun. So I was going to pitch the CH35 in 48 hours. Should I expect any more surprises?

If the nutrient is all stirred in, I think any volcanic action that was going to happen already happened. Just watch your temps. I didn't see anything about SO2 but MLB doesn't like it.

I siphoned off about a gallon from the other carboys into a bucket and added the nutrient. Once it calmed down added back to carboy. Can I add the CH35 in 48 hours to the full carboys without any more explosions?

I siphoned off about a gallon from the other carboys into a bucket and added the nutrient. Once it calmed down added back to carboy. Can I add the CH35 in 48 hours to the full carboys without any more explosions?

Unfortunately the answer can be no more specific than you will probably be okay, but if it were me, I would add the MLB to a small amount of the wine.

Yes, exactly. Add the MLB to a cup of wine, stir, then add to the carboy.
I'm tempted to draw off more that a cup and mix. I did that with the nutrient and created the fountain. Would there be any harm in adding the bacteria today instead of waiting the full 48 hours? Schedules you know........

That looks a bit gassier than I normally see, but I use the All-in-one-wine pump vacuum system to rack my wines and that takes out a huge amount of the CO2 with every racking. I don't know if this is your first MLF or not, but the bubbles from MLF are about 1/4 of the size of those bubbles, just so you kinda know what they might look like.

That looks a bit gassier than I normally see, but I use the All-in-one-wine pump vacuum system to rack my wines and that takes out a huge amount of the CO2 with every racking. I don't know if this is your first MLF or not, but the bubbles from MLF are about 1/4 of the size of those bubbles, just so you kinda know what they might look like.
Would you recommend racking and degassing or just go ahead and add the CH35 as is.

Would you recommend racking and degassing or just go ahead and add the CH35 as

I would not rack at this stage, no need to add the extra O2. I would pull at least a cup, maybe a pint of wine off, add the mlb to that, stir, let sit to acclimate for about an hour or so and then add back in slowly. Even if it hasn't been the full 48 hours since you added the MLB nutrients.

And you do know, there is no "RIGHT" answer, whichever you do, it will probably work out in the end.

I would not rack at this stage, no need to add the extra O2. I would pull at least a cup, maybe a pint of wine off, add the mlb to that, stir, let sit to acclimate for about an hour or so and then add back in slowly. Even if it hasn't been the full 48 hours since you added the MLB nutrients.

And you do know, there is no "RIGHT" answer, whichever you do, it will probably work out in the end.

Got it.

I too, had a wine fountain, but my parameters were different. Mine was apple juice in a one-gallon plastic bottle. I fermented it with only the natural sugars--it was thin and not tasty (Dry?), but had a tiny bit of carbonation. I tried to add 1 1/2 cu of sugar to re-ferment and the fountain was born and lasted a couple of seconds. It calmed down and I was able to dissolve the sugar by shaking the bottle. I wonder, is there something in this accident that could be used for a quick de-gassing of wine?

You know I was a little upset the first time I visited this thread. I was expecting the latest wedding trend with red and white wine flowing free from a fountain. ☹

I thought of that as well!

I am always dissappointed when someone mentions that they visited "the wine isle,"🍾 🏝 only to learn that they meant that they went to "the wine aisle."🛒 The former sounds very nice!

You know I was a little upset the first time I visited this thread. I was expecting the latest wedding trend with red and white wine flowing free from a fountain. ☹️
Sorry to disappoint. A wedding would surely have been more fun than standing back helplessly watching Barolo ending up on the floor.

Back