wine flowers or sth like that

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omid379

Junior
Reaction score
Hey guys
my wine is totally fermentated and it's been settling for around 2 weeks.last week I noticed a little unclear substance on my wine which was noticable only under full light. So I added some sodium metabisulfite. Today I checked it and I saw some white crystals on it. I've attached the photo. Any suggestions? Is it harmful? Should I rack it.
THANKS for your help in advance.

20161017_190257.jpg

Is it topped up with an airlock? If so, it may be tartrate crystals, I have seen this before, under some circumstances they can float, nothing to worry about. If the wine is not topped up, get it topped up asap.

Hey guys
my wine is totally fermentated and it's been settling for around 2 weeks.last week I noticed a little unclear substance on my wine which was noticable only under full light. So I added some sodium metabisulfite. Today I checked it and I saw some white crystals on it. I've attached the photo. Any suggestions? Is it harmful? Should I rack it.
THANKS for your help in advance.

Did you add sodium metabisulfite or potasium metabisultife? Generally you will want to avoid sodium metabisulfite and use potassium metabisulfite (kmeta) for your wine.

Did you add sodium metabisulfite or potasium metabisultife? Generally you will want to avoid sodium metabisulfite and use potassium metabisulfite (kmeta) for your wine.
Sodium. I think it's better to use potassium but it's hard to find where I live. I guess too much sodium will affect the taste.

Sodium. I think it's better to use potassium but it's hard to find where I live. I guess too much sodium will affect the taste.

Sodium is fine for sanitizing your tools, fermenters, etc.. Potassium metabisulfite is the one to use as a wine additive, it doesn't affect the pleasant taste of your wine the way that sodium does.

No farther away than another click of the mouse!!!:h
The main use of potassium metabisulfite is in wine making and I live in Iran. A country that is governed by religion and some hillbillies so trust me it would take much more effort to get it. ;)

The main use of potassium metabisulfite is in wine making and I live in Iran. A country that is governed by religion and some hillbillies so trust me it would take much more effort to get it. ;)

Well now!!! if that isn't a quandry,,,,, Going to have to pull out the big-guns (not literally) to solve this one!!:ft

Latest posts

Back