• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wine Making Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wine finish

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPRIN42

Junior
Reaction score
I was reading an earlier post regarding the finish of kit wines. I make wine from juice buckets and have made some that are starting to come into their own.
The one common factor that I am finding is that the wine from a recently opened bottle is sweet and very satisfying in flavor. As it is allowed to breath for 15 minutes or so it is becoming less sweet and actually adding a tart finish. Still tasty but much different than right from the opened bottle.
I am familiar with commercial wines that are allowed to breath and then open up to a smooth flavor, this however seems to be more drastic.
Should I be looking to smooth this out or just enjoy it?

Hi

thought I'd try a response even tho I am doing buckets for the very first time. I've read many times of folks commenting on flavor change, both positive and negative, on bottles that have been opened for a few days. I feel that is just the nature of wine. If it doesn't change there wouldn't be much point to aging it post fermentation. Since I like tart whenever the tart happens is my happy window. Others tastes may differ.

BTW thought I'd point out that you posted this question in the classifieds forum which is meant for posts about stuff for sale. Probably why no one else has answered. Try posting future questions here in General winemaking forum.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f6/

Hope this helps.

Pam in cinti

Latest posts

Back