Wine filter? WTH? Your thoughts or experiences?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year I looked into an additive that supposedly neutralizes histamines -- the literature sounded good, but I couldn't find anything (at that time) that wasn't sales related, so I didn't trust it. There may be more info available now; it's worth checking into if anyone suffers from red wine headache. [I mean while drinking, not the next morning!]

Checking into the prices, it had BETTER work for what they ask. A new pod every bottle, too. I'd love to hear from someone who's used one.

If this is basically using a small resin bed of sorts (ion exchange) you are also removing lots of things that actually give the wine its flavor.

They are claiming no hangovers...

Really? Also for a 5th of Scotch?

Seriously.... Sulfite have little to do with hangovers. Other allergic reaction to the sulfite sensitive, such as hives and respiratory issues, are to be taking seriously but not really the hangover. That is the alcohol. Generic headaches are caused by other issue, mostly in red wine. But of course such products make such claims, till they are fined and shut down by regulators for false advertising (which can take years).

Side note: I can swill white wine with a lot of sulfite, no headache, but even a fraction of "no sulfite" red wine can give me a headache. Some people are simply more susceptible to the chemistry of red wine. Try drinking more white wine.... :)

Really? Also for a 5th of Scotch?

Seriously.... Sulfite have little to do with hangovers. Other allergic reaction to the sulfite sensitive, such as hives and respiratory issues, are to be taking seriously but not really the hangover. That is the alcohol. Generic headaches are caused by other issue, mostly in red wine. But of course such products make such claims, till they are fined and shut down by regulators for false advertising (which can take years).

Side note: I can swill white wine with a lot of sulfite, no headache, but even a fraction of "no sulfite" red wine can give me a headache. Some people are simply more susceptible to the chemistry of red wine. Try drinking more white wine.... :)

All I drink are reds. Not a white wine guy except for scuppernong. When there are really high sulfite levels, the tops of my ears get really warm and I then suffer a food reaction (aches and pains, feverish feeling but no fever, etc.) for a day or so afterward. Hangovers are caused by alcohol. My wife has herbal liver support pills that help keep one at bay. I just pop a couple before bed. Forget the name, but glad to share if anyone is interested.

Last year I looked into an additive that supposedly neutralizes histamines -- the literature sounded good, but I couldn't find anything (at that time) that wasn't sales related, so I didn't trust it. There may be more info available now; it's worth checking into if anyone suffers from red wine headache. [I mean while drinking, not the next morning!]
My wife often starts sneezing after drinking wine and other alcoholic drinks. We have found some that don’t seem to bother her, but it’s not consistent. I heard about some of the histamine blockers, but haven’t tried it yet. Grape Encounters talked it about during one of his shows.

Latest posts

Back