• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wine Making Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wine filter needed for aspiring napa wine maker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefunk

Junior
Reaction score
Good afternoon and happy Friday!! I am looking for something in the lines of a Mini Jet Wine Filter. I have been making wine/meads and beer/ciders for a few years now, as i am now currently going to school for this as a profession, one is looking to expand home capabilities for experiments.

much love.

RegarRenill might have something similar for sale. You will need a pump to push the wine through the plate filter.

I'm saving up to buy the AIO and a whole house filter. Money is tight (9mo old daughter and my wife lost her job on 9/25), but I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the AIO, atleast. So, my wife decided to surprise me by getting a filter; however, she got me a plate filter setup from someone on CL. Once I get the AIO, can I use the plate filter or should I just try to resell it on CL and get the whole house setup?

something basic will work for the time being as i am currently still in the process of saving to obtain some land/rights to grow on it.... maybe a partnership, the filter plate would be nice; although as you said i need the pump for it. Enlomatic.... would be wonderful; unfortunately im working on a college students budget. Not doing terrible though as i currently have an 80g capacity with my glass equip alone.

You could always go with the Allinonewinepump and add a inline filter to it for approx 30 dollars - then you can bottle,rack,degas and filter all using the same product.

Im having a hard time justifying spending 200 on the allion as it could be built for less then $80..... sometimes having an engineering mind is a curse lol. would be nice to find a setup for $100 or less (to include pump)

Well as a fellow engineering student in college I can tell you that it is possible to do. It is just a matter of where you can put your $$$. Plus, things like internships help... But, I guess that is a different story.

Im having a hard time justifying spending 200 on the allion as it could be built for less then $80..... sometimes having an engineering mind is a curse lol. would be nice to find a setup for $100 or less (to include pump)

I doubt it could be built for under 80 bucks. Even then why would you start off insulting someone trying to help you

woah...... totally not meant to be insulting man.... not in the slightest, my apologies. see heres the problem with text format communication. you cant get my tone of voice :(

The pump is the expensive part. You would be hard pressed to find a decent pump for $80.

Well as a fellow engineering student in college I can tell you that it is possible to do. It is just a matter of where you can put your $$$. Plus, things like internships help... But, I guess that is a different story.

i will be beginning my internship at the the NVC winery next year if all goes to plan school/internship combo.

Sounds like a good plan. As others have mentioned, the pump is really the expensive part. But, building your own filter rig can be quite a bit of fun. Plus, it would improve your understanding of how they work.. Which never hurts.

I have no idea about school/internship. I'm guessing they would have the expensive equipment you need. Given the time it takes to make wine, the students are not filtering every week to justify getting them to buy their own. I doubt you will be filtering that much.

Filtering is after clarifying, and IMHO, doesn't add that much, if anything.

Thefunk -
Knowing that you have engineering skills - I am surprised that you have not come up with a filtering setup already ?
All you need is a pump and a filter right ?

well do you want the wine to touch the impeller or you can use a hand pump pressure tank ?

I can think of at least 5 different types at the top of my head at this moment - if that is all you want to do is filter ?

What size micron do you want to go down to - BTW ?

Thefunk -
Knowing that you have engineering skills - I am surprised that you have not come up with a filtering setup already ?
All you need is a pump and a filter right ?

well do you want the wine to touch the impeller or you can use a hand pump pressure tank ?

I can think of at least 5 different types at the top of my head at this moment - if that is all you want to do is filter ?

What size micron do you want to go down to - BTW ?

I am looking to sterile filter for young and sweet wines, i have a few designs in my head and yes the pump is my main issue. i would obviously prefer to go with an air powered pump as we use those and vogelsang pumps in class, as this is a govt. ran winery students are not able to use govt equip for personal use.

I am looking to sterile filter for young and sweet wines, i have a few designs in my head and yes the pump is my main issue. i would obviously prefer to go with an air powered pump as we use those and vogelsang pumps in class, as this is a govt. ran winery students are not able to use govt equip for personal use.

So An Air powered pump - the wine has to go thru the actual pump correct ?

I know those are not cheap pumps at all as I have 2 of them - what did you have in mind when you wanted to build something under 100 dollars then ??

I can find filter cartridges that fit the whole house housings that will go down to .35 micron for approx 10 dollars

To sterile as a home winemaker would be extremely expensive. You can go down to .2 micron with some filters but that doesn't make them a sterile filter. You're going to want to do your homework on this and read up on sterile filtration for wine.

I lucked out. I bought a used pump before I knew what I needed to look for in a pump. Fortunately, it was a medical pump, and works great.

Like you, I was thinking of making all the parts myself. I then decided it wasn't worth the effort, and bought the bottling, splash attachment, and tubing (thick wall to handle the vacuum). Steve doesn't show it in the pics, but he uses a high quality brass valve with the bottling setup. I had no idea why it cost so much until I received it.

As with everything, you can buy used and save yourself a few $'s. With Steve's pricing, a few more dollars over used gets you a new, nice looking, package. IMHO, he is not pricing the AIO much over his cost.

Latest posts

Back