Wine Fault diagnosis

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hokapsig

Reaction score
We sat down to enjoy a Rose wine that we had picked up from North Carolina 2 years ago. The wine, when poured, had a brown tint and has a germanium aftertaste to it. I'm still drinking it because it has Muscadine in it (and I'm a big Musky fan). Meanwhile, the wife is now enjoying a Clarion River Red.

My question is: What is the problem that caused this brownish tint and germainium taste?? And how do you treat this and prevent this?

That's what I thought, but the germanium taste threw me off as it having something else.

And it just got tossed down the drain....

Hokapsig said:
We sat down to enjoy a Rose wine that we had picked up from North Carolina 2 years ago. The wine, when poured, had a brown tint and has a germanium aftertaste to it. I'm still drinking it because it has Muscadine in it (and I'm a big Musky fan). Meanwhile, the wife is now enjoying a Clarion River Red.

My question is: What is the problem that caused this brownish tint and germainium taste?? And how do you treat this and prevent this?

Hey, I offered you MUSCADINE when you came øve to press the concord and you said you had enough. I'll share at next bottling. Maybe we'll have you over for a sweetening party to determine where you like the SG.

I have 2 cases of the 2011 Noble left. Well, almost 2 cases.

Doug, you know I will ALWAYS take a Muscadine.

My wife gave me the last of the Clarion Red, Doesn't anyone EVER cold filter anymore??? I got a mouthful of crystals on the last drink....

If the wine was oxidizing I would guess some one had alowed O2 in and if it has got a little MLf Bactria in at same time and got started and wine had sorbate you would have germainium. Ya that is a possibility

Yep,

Sounds like it was back sweetened and had sorbate added and then MLF happened in the bottle and it developed "geranium taint".

A couple of things about rose...

Rose has a much lower tannin content than most red wines and even some whites(like a good chardonnay). Tannins are natural antioxidants that serve toprevent oxidation. In short, rose is not really good when it comes to aging.

The other question is this. Was the bottle sealed with a synthetic cork? As a closure, synthetic corks are notvery good at preventing O2 from seeping into the bottle from the outside. In other words, wine sealed with a synthetic cork is much more likely to oxidize over time than a wine sealed with a natural cork.

In future, do not bother to age rose sealed with a synthetic cork. Simply enjoy it as you aquire it.

Doug, you know I will ALWAYS take a Muscadine.

My wife gave me the last of the Clarion Red, Doesn't anyone EVER cold filter anymore??? I got a mouthful of crystals on the last drink....

Love those wine diamonds. In Europe, they are seen as the sign of a good wine.

Back