Wine Explosion! My Fault???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbeckton

Reaction score
So my RJS Amarone Classico arrived, double boxed. I took it out of the first box, stripped the plastic covering off the top and sides and down to the bottom, then went to lift the box off the rest using the cutout handles near the top of the box.

I suppose you can tell by the title what happens next...the bottom of the box gave out and the bladder fell about 8” to the ground where it then busted at the seam and turned my basement (thank god!) into a scene from dexter. I mean wine on the ground/walls/ceiling for 15’ radius!

I know that I maybe should have been more concerned about the box but it’s stamped rated for 130# and the box has handles. Why have handles on a box if they aren’t intended to be used?

I am typically not one to complain, even maybe when I should, but should I consider this my fault or as RJS for a replacement?

Thanks for any thoughts and you’re welcome for the warning!

I've only done 2 WE kits but the box comes with a cutout so you can insert the spigot for emptying the bladder so it is considered an integral part of the process.

I’ve carried many a box of wine kit juice around by the handles and never seen that happen. Obviously, the integrity of the tape on the bottom should be the main suspect.

I’ve carried many a box of wine kit juice around by the handles and never seen that happen. Obviously, the integrity of the tape on the bottom should be the main suspect.

No tape, just glue...and not much...each flap had two ~1” strips.

bRQN9Qt.jpg

Last edited:
Never had a kit box that was taped, just glued. And I've never been concerned about the bottom dropping out. What a mess that must've made.

I have had the bottom of a kit box fall out before -- BUT ONLY after having gotten it wet repeatedly and while carrying bottle of wine. In other words, I kept the box and reused it, but I got it wet. In your case, I think this one is on them!

If the question is, should you call the retailer or manufacurer? Yes, absolutely. What do you have to lose?

I get most of my kits from LP and never had that happen (knock wood) in five years.

Yup, I sent them an email so will see what they say. I have never had any trouble with the WE kit boxes that I get from LP but these RJS boxes are not as good IMO not having that nice cutout where you an “lock in” the spout...and also apparently not as much glue!

It’s too bad though because I like the RJS kit much ore than the WE kits. Hopefully this was an anomaly and they will take are of it.

I had that happen myself, while carry a box down the cellar steps. The bottom blew out, and wine tumbled down about 10 steps like a slinky. Thank god the bladder didn't break! It's always in the back of my mind now when carrying a box.

Last edited:
I had that happen myself, while carry a box down the cellar steps. The bottom blew out, and wine tumbled down about 10 steps like a slinky. Thank god the bladder didn't break! It's always in the back of my mind now when carrying a box.

Wow, yours survived that and mine didn’t make a 12” fall! Guess I shouldn’t bet on the Super Bowl.

I see a picture like that and immediately wonder what wrath I’d get from the wife for a spill like that. Lol.

Yup, I sent them an email so will see what they say. I have never had any trouble with the WE kit boxes that I get from LP but these RJS boxes are not as good IMO not having that nice cutout where you an “lock in” the spout...and also apparently not as much glue!

It’s too bad though because I like the RJS kit much ore than the WE kits. Hopefully this was an anomaly and they will take are of it.

So what did they do for you? I’m always interested in a company’s customer service effort - determines whether I ever buy from them again.

Any RJS kit I have bought (I buy mostly RJS). Is also shrink wrapped with plastic, if this one was not then the question is who removed the wrap and why.

take your pictures and complaint to whom ever you bought it from they should help

So what did they do for you? I’m always interested in a company’s customer service effort - determines whether I ever buy from them again.

Crickets so far. Sent a follow up this morning asking for a response.

Latest posts

Back