Wine Expert Pinot Noir Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xring01

Junior
Reaction score
Just started my 4th Wine Expert kit...

In the past I have done a Pinot Noir, Cab Sav and a Merlot. Overall I have been quite happy with the results, which is why I am making another.

My SG was 1.094, PH 3.4,

I just got some toasted hungarian oak delivered, for some cab I am making..

So I threw a few cubes in with the Pinot.

No need to worry about the pH for a kit as it’s been pre-balanced.

My first 8 kits were all WE because I had a good supplier and thought they were good but then tried some CC and RJS. Haven’t made another WE kit since because I liked the others much better so don’t be afraid to try different manufacturers.

I just so happened to bottle this kit tonight. Currently at 13 months. Drinks very light and smooth. Followed instruction by the kit and left out clearing agents and sorbate. IMG_1413.JPG

Started with bentonite. Left everything else out after that. From what I read on these forums, they say the sorbate is not needed. I’m kind of new to this hobby. 2.5 years in and about 10 kits finished so far.

Sorbate is what is not needed unless you are back-sweetening. Sulfites are needed to prevent oxidation and preserve a wines freshness and is used by most here. You can skip it, but not if you want to age your wine for a few years. Are you sure you didn’t add it?

By the way, you can skip the bentonite too.

I just checked the next kit I’m going to do and the sulfite and sorbate are combined. I can’t recall if it was like this in the past. I feel I discarded this pack on my last one or two kits. Maybe I shouldn’t let them are too long then.

I really like your labels.

I but the WE kits, because I can pick it up locally for $75 ish a kit

Good enough and cost effective for me..

I would love to try the other kits, finding them is the hard part

I just checked the next kit I’m going to do and the sulfite and sorbate are combined. I can’t recall if it was like this in the past. I feel I discarded this pack on my last one or two kits. Maybe I shouldn’t let them are too long then.

Hmmm. I have made kits from all of the major manufacturers and the sorbate has always been separate. Anyhow, I age for at least a year in the carboy and the kits don’t provide enough kmeta (sulfite) to do this because it’s meant to be consumed quickly so I bought a container of kmeta. Think it was like $3 and has lasted me several years so if you want to keep your wines for more than a year I highly suggest you think about getting some.

Yes. I’m a newbie. I always use the Kmeta in years past. Oddly though they combined the two in this kit I’m about to do. I think I recall reading this in the forum. I think it’s to stop people from skipping the sorbate.

I just so happened to bottle this kit tonight. Currently at 13 months. Drinks very light and smooth. Followed instruction by the kit and left out clearing agents and sorbate. View attachment 56859
looks like an excellent supply of wine, It is a Pinot so I would expect it to remain light and smooth as that is what Pinot Noir is known for.

No need to worry about the pH for a kit as it’s been pre-balanced.

My first 8 kits were all WE because I had a good supplier and thought they were good but then tried some CC and RJS. Haven’t made another WE kit since because I liked the others much better so don’t be afraid to try different manufacturers.
I did a WE Pinot noir kit back in September. I did need to adjust the pH. It wasn't that far out but I wasn't feeling happy sitting on a pH of 3.8 as I hold my wines in bulk. I adjusted it to a pH of 3.4 using 48 gms of tartaric acid. I also added an oak spiral after primary . I gave it a second racking today and am pleased with how it has developed at this early stage.

I did a WE Pinot noir kit back in September. I did need to adjust the pH. It wasn't that far out but I wasn't feeling happy sitting on a pH of 3.8 as I hold my wines in bulk. I adjusted it to a pH of 3.4 using 48 gms of tartaric acid. I also added an oak spiral after primary . I gave it a second racking today and am pleased with how it has developed at this early stage.

What kind of kit? While it’s possible it was off I think that it’s more likely that your meter was off or you maybe didn’t add the correct mount of water. I’ve made about 25 kits and pH was always good and I don’t recall ever seeing a post here that kit ph was off that much.

My WE Pinot Noir Kit, is aging in a 6 Gallon Car Boy, with Malo, French Oak Med Toast Spiral, and a few small cubes of Hung Oak.
I added a hint of Tannins.... Its been over 6 weeks now from when I started.

Might be time add some sulfites and protect it a bit... for further aging.

what exactly do you mean, when you said:

My WE Pinot Noir Kit, is aging in a 6 Gallon Car Boy, with Malo, French Oak Med Toast Spiral, and a few small cubes of Hung Oak.
I added a hint of Tannins.... Its been over 6 weeks now from when I started.

Might be time add some sulfites and protect it a bit... for further aging.

particularly the with Malo part? Sulfites are probably in order after 6 weeks.

Back