Wine expert Limited Edition Primitivo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
Just got my August-September issue of WineMaker Magazine. My wife tossed it at me and it happened to flip over to the back cover. New WineExpert Private Reserve Fiero Primitivo. One of my favorite wines is Primitivo. Label Peelers has it in stock and for $118. So for 30 bottles, under $4 per bottle. Two kites will be showing up on my front porch sometime soon. The Minister of Finance gave me thre go ahead, she loves Primitivo probably more than I do.

This will be my first off thre new style kites, so that will be interesting. Not sure if this comes with a grape pack or not, but either way it will probably get a little bit more tannin.

Just got my August-September issue of WineMaker Magazine. My wife tossed it at me and it happened to flip over to the back cover. New WineExpert Private Reserve Fiero Primitivo. One of my favorite wines is Primitivo. Label Peelers has it in stock and for $118. So for 30 bottles, under $4 per bottle. Two kites will be showing up on my front porch sometime soon. The Minister of Finance gave me thre go ahead, she loves Primitivo probably more than I do.

This is a great deal. It will be interesting to see how the new kits taste.

Last edited:
I got mine yesterday and this issue has a lot of articles that interest me. Especially since I was going to try an Albarino this fall. The other one of interest is the small glycol systems. Have yet to read it though, had storage issue with Google and now have to finish my SO2 testing.

Last edited:

This will be my first off thre new style kites, so that will be interesting. Not sure if this comes with a grape pack or not, but either way it will probably get a little bit more tannin.

Hey can you let us know what all comes with the kit when it gets in? Its sitting in my cart now and I need a good excuse to pull the trigger!

Does it come with skins? I just put in an order yesterday for three kits. I had this in my cart and while checking out I took it out.

Hey can you let us know what all comes with the kit when it gets in? Its sitting in my cart now and I need a good excuse to pull the trigger!

Here's a picture of what came in the kit:

IMG_20200713_114334.jpg

so grape skins, 2 yeasts RC212 and EC-1118 (I'll only be adding the RC212, unless problems come up), two packages of oak chips (one says French Med, the other just Medium), oak cubes (french), bentonite, kmeta+sorbate (which will be tossed), Kiesol and chitosan, + a bag for the skins. Probably starting sometime this week.

View attachment 63451

so grape skins, 2 yeasts RC212 and EC-1118 (I'll only be adding the RC212, unless problems come up), two packages of oak chips (one says French Med, the other just Medium), oak cubes (french), bentonite, kmeta+sorbate (which will be tossed), Kiesol and chitosan, + a bag for the skins. Probably starting sometime this week.
Thanks for the pic! Its very Joeswine-esk of you:D. Ill be placing my order this evening!

This will be my first WE kit under the new packaging regime. I'll give them chance on this one because in addition to pulling back on the juice I feared they might become a little less adventuresome on varietals and styles. This one has me as excited as the the mid-summer release of Nocturne in 2017. We'll see how it goes.

Ya I ordered this one also 😁 the 212 is for building structure the 1118 is for the fpac additional it will help power through , ABV should be around 13% this looks like a heavy red, placing the French chips in the primary and the cubes in the secondary ,then I'll let it set for 2 months , then bottle. It can bottle age this way, I can taste as I go.
If I'm correct this will be a very good wine in a short time

Sounds like a plan?

Ya I ordered this one also 😁 the 212 is for building structure the 1118 is for the fpac additional it will help power through , ABV should be around 13% this looks like a heavy red, placing the French chips in the primary and the cubes in the secondary ,then I'll let it set for 2 months , then bottle. It can bottle age this way, I can taste as I go.
If I'm correct this will be a very good wine in a short time

Sounds like a plan?

Sounds like a good plan! You think you will make this to 5 gallons? What do you think you will add to the Fpac?

I have mine ordered thru my local beer/wine supply store. Looks like a great kit.

View attachment 63451

I have made four kits and always use all the ingredients, why would you eliminate or reduce an ingredient? I don’t know how kmeta+sorbate effects the wine.

First question. I'm going to let my hydrometer be my guide ,so should you.
Take a reading at the 5.5 gallon level, adjust from there., Knowing that the fpac will add at least a1% increase ABV level upward. Got it?
I always use all the ingredients , always with no problems.
Also keep in mind boil off will be at least 1/2 gallon.

Last edited:
I have made four kits and always use all the ingredients, why would you eliminate or reduce an ingredient? I don’t know how kmeta+sorbate effects the wine.

A lot of people don't put the sorbate into reds that ferment dry (no residual sugar) as it isn't really necessary. You would have to add your own dose of kmeta if you were to drop the kmeta + sorbate. I drop it because I try not to add stuff to my wine that isn't necessary. Hopefully some of the more experienced folks on here will add a few other reasons.

what your aiming for is a decent balance-- between taste and body without diluting it. what might also be helpful is a hand full of raisins in the secondary . All prior to bottling ... along with the oak cubes.

I am following this as my expected taste profile, I will be making it to the full 6 gallons and perhaps bumping the alcohol just a tad. On the nose, Primitivo exhibits black fruit, blue berries, figs, and leather-earthiness. On the palate, expect blackberry and fruit compote with a tannic rusticity on the finish. So, I will probably add a bit of extra tannin to the primary and maybe some cooked down blackberries. Not very much, I find these higher priced kits to be of the less is much, much more. I'll probably wait to taste it, before I decide on the final tastes I may consider adding.

Latest posts

Back