Wine duds— Do you dump or salvage?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I have a batch I'm going to dump. I can't seem to figure out the taste, but whatever it is does not taste good at all. My first batch of gewurztraminer has a bit of a yeasty off taste but it is definitely drinkable. My failed skeeter pee that I rescued and now call it "lemon-elder skeet port" has lemon, elderberry and a bit of brandy. It is awesome, at least to my taste buds. I have some tart cherry lemon that is exactly what it says-TART! I think with a little back sweetening it will be very good. My first batch of wild plum turned out good. But now... my second batch of wild plum tastes terrible. I thought sweetening it would help. It doesn't. It still tastes terrible, not to mention a little strange. I suppose I could let my chickens drink it and be entertained watching a bunch of drunk chickens.

I can't seem to figure out the taste, but whatever it is does not taste good at all.
That's my criteria for dumping. I've made wines I didn't care for, but were drinkable, and I discovered that boiling made them better (e.g., I used them mostly for cooking).

However, if the wine tastes bad and corrections do nothing positive? Yeah, sadly, it's time to dump.

In case of some type of infection in the bad wine, clean all equipment that touches this wine extra well. It may not make any difference, but it won't hurt, either.

Time is the main factor before I'd ever even consider dumping!!
Age does wonders. I had a hard cider that was horrid after a few months.. even after a year Meh kept adjusting and sweetening.. after 2 years it was awesome..
Also blends and fortified wines like u did with the skeeter pee.
plum wine would make a nice fortified wine as well. Try a sample fortified.. either brandy or wild berry schnapps

I have a year and half old mead now it's ok but I believe it will be better in time..

Then i suppose lastly for cooking wine as mentioned or red wine vinegar depending on the type.. if you dont want to try and salvage it..
Good luck.. ultimately ur house ur rules...

Time is the main factor before I'd ever even consider dumping!!
It depends on what's wrong with the wine. Oxidation is not fixable, nor are some bacterial infections.

My 2019 Malbec developed an off-flavor, hard to describe. I backsweetened slightly with cherry juice, which masks the off-flavor, but it's still there. It's drinkable, but not my buddy. Makes great cooking wine so I'm set on that for a few years.

Back