Wine Drinkers Tend to Be Healthier

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting - was surprised it wasn't up here yet... Hits a little closer to home for me - as RA has been running in my family for a couple generations now, and my rheumatoid factor has been running elevated for some time now - meaning it's likely I'll start showing symptoms. Guess I need to drink more :ib

Well health benefits of red wine has been confirmed through a recent research by an indian american scientist.
Visit this link: http://in.news.yahoo.com/43/20100801/1537/tls-drinking-red-wine-can-help-people-li_1.html
We already know that red wine helps prolong human life, but to what extent and how exactly is the subject of much research.

What we do know though is that there is too little resveratrol in wine to effect such benefits. I'm not sure why scientists keep dwelling on this. If they are to feed resveratrol to participants in their clinical trials, they should do it in doses equivalent to what is found in wine, which is way too small.

The really healthy compound -- and I keep banging my head on the wall to educate people about this -- is procyanidins, not resveratrol.

Anyways. One thing is for sure: Drink 2 glasses of red wine a day -- it is HEALTHY for sure.

More on this subject in my new book "Wine Myths, Facts & Snobberies."

Yeah i have heard that before from you but couldn't help it since all these research makes me happy that my love for red wine is worth while after all.
can you please tell me if procyanidins, the compound you spoke about, is present in the red wine and that too in good proportions?

Yeah i have heard that before from you but couldn't help it since all these research makes me happy that my love for red wine is worth while after all.
can you please tell me if procyanidins, the compound you spoke about, is present in the red wine and that too in good proportions?

Yes, red wine is procyanidin-rich, and I'm looking forward to the day that the TTB and CFIA allow us to make such health claims on wine labels, but it probably won't happen in my lifetime.

Do keep in mind that red wine alone is not a panacea to long, good health. It must be conjunction with a healthy lifestyle, and that includes eating well and exercising regularly. As for procyanidins, there are many fruit and nuts that contain these great compounds, so eat up to complement your red wine drinking.

The wine seems to offer more health benefits of beer. Additional benefits may be due in part associated with a healthier diet, the researchers speculate. Wine drinkers eat more olives, fruit and vegetables, low fat dairy products, poultry and lean cuts of meat, according to a recent study. Beer drinkers were found to eat more pre-cooked packaged foods, sugar, crisps, soft drinks, meats, sausages and fatter cuts of meat.

I like red wine, but generally my preference is white. With crossed fingers hoping, I ask.... are there health benefits to white?

I'm glad to have found this thread because I was wondering about this but also wondering about whether I might be 'toasting' my liver (no pun intended!!). :D I'm in the "moderate" category, you see.

The wine seems to offer more health benefits of beer. Additional benefits may be due in part associated with a healthier diet, the researchers speculate. Wine drinkers eat more olives, fruit and vegetables, low fat dairy products, poultry and lean cuts of meat, according to a recent study. Beer drinkers were found to eat more pre-cooked packaged foods, sugar, crisps, soft drinks, meats, sausages and fatter cuts of meat.

Yes, you are absolutely right. Red wine has inherent health benefits over other alcoholic drinks and red wine drinkers are known to have better lifestyles which improve health.

I like red wine, but generally my preference is white. With crossed fingers hoping, I ask.... are there health benefits to white?

I'm glad to have found this thread because I was wondering about this but also wondering about whether I might be 'toasting' my liver (no pun intended!!). :D I'm in the "moderate" category, you see.

Very limited health benefits with whites, sorry. You need to switch over to red.

Very limited health benefits with whites, sorry. You need to switch over to red.

Thanks for the reply. I do like red as well....though there's still going to be white in my life. Hmmm....I guess I'll just have to make sure I balance it with enough red to get all the health benefits!!

:db

Thanks for the reply. I do like red as well....though there's still going to be white in my life. Hmmm....I guess I'll just have to make sure I balance it with enough red to get all the health benefits!!

:db

That's exactly how I do it. I throw in some port, sherry, bubbly, ice wine and grappa for good measures!!

Wine Drinker are good healther and good body builder because the Wine are helpful in digestive system. It is also protect many diesses.Improved lung function from antioxidants in white wine. Coronary heart disease reduced.Ulcer-causing bacteria reduced.

Cool!

Making your own wine: Tasty, cost effective and good for you!

Can't get much better than that!

Latest posts

Back