Wine Drinkers Tend to Be Healthier

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

Reaction score
Daniel, What do you think?
From Wine Spectator

French Study Concludes Wine Drinkers Tend to Be Healthier
But lifestyle and socioeconomic factors may be the reason
Jacob Gaffney
Posted: May 24, 2010
The headlines for several newspapers and websites sounded like a dream come true: "People Who Drink Half-Bottle of Wine a Day Are Healthier," "Moderate Wine Drinkers Have Healthier Hearts ... and Minds," and "A Half-Bottle of Wine a Day Keeps the Doctor Away." The stories were crowing about a new French study, scheduled to be published in an upcoming issue of the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, that finds that people who drink moderate amounts of wine are healthier in several key categories than nondrinkers. But is the hype true?

Certainly, multiple studies have found links between wine and better health, particularly cardiovascular health. (They have also found links between wine consumption and increased rates of some cancers.) But scientists have yet to conclusively determine how wine may improve health. And a closer analysis of the French study shows that the lifestyle habits and socioeconomic status of those who drink wine may be bigger factors.

The study was conducted by a team of researchers at the Center for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention at various Paris public hospitals, who asked questions of nearly 150,000 people from the Paris area. They found that 13.7 percent of men and 23.9 percent of women did not drink at all. Drinkers were divided into four groups according to their alcohol consumption: never, less than one glass a day (low), up to three glasses daily (moderate) and more than three glasses daily (heavy). All the subjects also underwent a gamut of health tests.

The researchers found that women who drank moderate amounts of alcohol had lower body-mass index, waist circumference, blood pressure and blood lipids, including bad cholesterol. Men who drank moderately had lower body-mass index, heart rate, blood pressure and better blood sugar levels, plus lower stress and depression scores.

But rather than proof that wine should replace an apple a day, the study authors conclude that moderate drinkers tend to have healthier diets, balance work and leisure more effectively and exercise more. In comparing the groups of drinkers versus nondrinkers, study co-author Dr. Boris Hansel said in a statement, "Importantly, the findings showed moderate alcohol consumption is a powerful general indicator of optimal social status, and this could be a key reason for improved health in these subjects."

That doesn't mean wine can't improve people's well being, but more study is needed.

Nice information Tom thx for sharing. It has always been a true that moderate wine drinkers are healthy than the other people.

I do agree that that MODERATE wine drinkers have healthier lifestles. But take note with the word "moderate" --> not too much. :h

“Importantly, the findings showed moderate alcohol consumption is a powerful general indicator of optimal social status, and this could be a key reason for improved health in these subjects,” study author, Dr. Boris Hansel said.

So moderate times...oh say 5 must be really good right?

I'm gonna live for evaaaaaaaa

Kidding aside, at least I'll make an easy job for the embalmer.

I agree with Tom. More study is needed so I am going to the kitchen for a glass right now!

Hi folks, and sorry for taking so long to interject ... I thought I would be automatically subscribed to a thread in this forum, but I guess not.

Anyways, yes, absolutely, Wine Drinkers Tend to Be Healthier.

Socioeconomic factors (eg lifestyle) obviously have a great impact, so the association works both ways, i.e. wine drinkers tend to be healthier, and a healthy lifestyle allows you to drink to further improve your life.

I've written a comprehensive summary of the relationship between wine and health in my latest book "Wine Myths, Facts & Snobberies: 81 Questions & Answers on the Science & Enjoyment of Wine."

See http://www.TechniquesInHomeWinemaking.com for more info.

Cheers,
Daniel

Hi folks, and sorry for taking so long to interject ... I thought I would be automatically subscribed to a thread in this forum, but I guess not.

Anyways, yes, absolutely, Wine Drinkers Tend to Be Healthier.

Socioeconomic factors (eg lifestyle) obviously have a great impact, so the association works both ways, i.e. wine drinkers tend to be healthier, and a healthy lifestyle allows you to drink to further improve your life.

I've written a comprehensive summary of the relationship between wine and health in my latest book "Wine Myths, Facts & Snobberies: 81 Questions & Answers on the Science & Enjoyment of Wine."

See http://www.TechniquesInHomeWinemaking.com for more info.

Cheers,
Daniel

Don't appologize, in this forum you're never late for the party.

I don't know if having a glass of wine now and then makes me healthier...

but it sure makes me feel better! :d

Its the red wines which are healthiest especially pinot noir which has one of the highest percentage of resveratrol, which contributes immensely to lower your heart problem and increasing your life span.

Its the red wines which are healthiest especially pinot noir which has one of the highest percentage of resveratrol, which contributes immensely to lower your heart problem and increasing your life span.

Yes, red wines are the healthiest and Pinot Noir is up there as one of the healthiest; however, the level of resveratrol in red wines is too low to be of significant consequence. But a diet rich in resveratrol (blueberries, green tea, etc) coupled with moderate red wine consumption will definitely have a positive health impact. Dr Roger Corder's research has demonstrated that procyanidins are the HEALTHY polyphenols in reds, and that Tannat wines have the highest level of procyanidins.

I just enjoy my wine. If you want meds, take a pill. We don't know how much is beneficial anyway. But, I'll bet there are people using health as a reason to drink and that's just not good. Drink up! :b

Yes, red wines are the healthiest and Pinot Noir is up there as one of the healthiest; however, the level of resveratrol in red wines is too low to be of significant consequence. But a diet rich in resveratrol (blueberries, green tea, etc) coupled with moderate red wine consumption will definitely have a positive health impact. Dr Roger Corder's research has demonstrated that procyanidins are the HEALTHY polyphenols in reds, and that Tannat wines have the highest level of procyanidins.

Thanks Daniel that was quite informative.

I just enjoy my wine. If you want meds, take a pill. We don't know how much is beneficial anyway. But, I'll bet there are people using health as a reason to drink and that's just not good. Drink up! :b

There is general agreement that 1-2 glasses of red wine / day is best, though, you are right, the benefits have not been quantified. Drinking red wine for improved health has actually been proven; even those who have had a cardiac condition are advised to keep drinking (and even start) red wine in moderation.

But agreed! Drink up!!

I believe this theory first came into being when it was observed that people living in south of France who drink red wine on a regular basis tend to live longer.

http://www.physorg.com/news199432088.html

Drinking alcohol may reduce the severity of rheumatoid arthritis according to new research published today. It is the first time that this effect has been shown in humans. The study also finds that alcohol consumption reduces the risk of developing the disease, confirming the results of previous studies.

Latest posts

Back