Wine dilution/Alcohol Content Question

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

agdodge4x4

Reaction score
I'm having a brain fart. I have all my calculators and excel sheets and I know how to use them but I need a sanity check.

I have 4 gallons of wine that I started at 1095, but it needs to be 5 gallons of wine. As is, if the 4 gallons goes to dryness, Ill be at 13% ABV ish.

If I add 1 gallon of sugar water that is at 1095, and the NOW 5 gallon batch goes to dryness, it is still 13% ABV, correct?

I verified this with all my calculations, but for some reason I'm skeptical. I think its right though.

agdodge4x4

Reaction score
I don't know...that's why I asked. I have a tendency to think things through until they no longer make sense. LOL.

Julia

Junior
Reaction score
I have made a mistake starting my wine. Grand children running around while mixing ingredients and the day after I added the WYeast I realized I didn't put the Yeast enzyme in. This is Day 5 and nothing. What should I do?

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
I have made a mistake starting my wine. Grand children running around while mixing ingredients and the day after I added the WYeast I realized I didn't put the Yeast enzyme in. This is Day 5 and nothing. What should I do?
I don't know what "yeast enzyme" is, but we could use some more information to help you diagnose the problem. What kind of wine is this? What was the starting specific gravity? What is it now? What kind of yeast did you pitch?

Julia

Junior
Reaction score
Blueberry wine

I am making blueberry wine from fresh blueberry juice. My recipe calls for 4 gal juice
10 lb sugar
12 tsp acid blend
3 tsp pectin enzyme
1 1/2 tsp tannin 6 tsp yeast nutrient (this is what I left out) yeast nutrient
Mix it all add water to the 6 gal mark in primary. Wait 24 hr. Add yeast.
I added WYeast liquid yeast for wine. First time I have used it. After 1 day nothing is happening. I checked my recipe and realized my mistake and added the yeast nutrient then. Still nothing. It tastes like the best blueberry juice ever! Lol I broke my hydrometer and purchased a new one and can't read it. Where it floated it says table wine 10% alcohol and it's on the 80

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
That would mean a specific gravity of 1.080. I would have expected higher, like 1.095, from that amount of sugar, but probably in the ballpark. Perhaps the sugar was not all dissolved yet.

Here is a helpful link on how to read a hydrometer: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10346

I am not knowledgeable about blueberry wine. However, if the SG is still high (or it is still very sweet with no fizzing) after 5 days, I think you need to pitch more yeast. Can you get a hold of a sachet of a reliable wine yeast?

Julia

Junior
Reaction score
I do have some of the yeast I normally use. Do I need to put the other ingredients in again other than sugar of course in order for the yeast to work?

Johny99

Reaction score
I do have some of the yeast I normally use. Do I need to put the other ingredients in again other than sugar of course in order for the yeast to work?
I'd just start the yeast ina cup or so if the juice, nice and warm, get it going, match the temp to the whole and gently mix it in. Morewine has a great yeast hydration procedure. Since you already added the nutrients, they are still there so don't add more. You don't want the wine to complete and have food left for bad bugs to use. Enjoy!