Wine Corks (Aglica) Breaking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellar Vader

Reaction score
I have read "numerous" posts here regarding corks breaking. My situation is as follows:
I have a WE Eclipse Lodi Old Vines Zinfandel that is now 9 months in the bottle (which I have every intent on aging 2 years before breakout.) Upon opening the first bottle for a "peak" taste last night, my cork broke about 2/3's down. This is called an "Aglica" cork (#9 x1 3/4), which is agglomated and I wasn't aware that this could be an issue. The bottles have been on their sides since bottling day, and have somehow soaked the cork to the point where the end 1/3 is rather soft.
I have read numerous suggestion to other posts that you can simply "re-cork" them.
Question: Is there an inherent risk to the potential life of this wine in doing so? Let's say the air contact time may be 10 or 15 seconds before the replacement cork goes in for each one.

I think you will be safe to remove and put in a new cork.

I use those same corks, at least they are the #9 X1 3/4 and agglomated. I do not have this problem. But I don't hae the problem of the corks breaking or the corks soaking up 1/3 of the way. When I cork, if my wife is watching and insists, I give them a very slight K-meta Spritz, I don't soak or saturate them at all. If she isn't watching, I just put them in, they came from a sealed bag and I keep them in a sealed environment with some dry Metabisulphite added. I did have some issues when I first started making wine and soaked my corks. I learned quickly don't be a cork soaker.

I did have some issues whee wine soaked out the top of the cork that I traced back to being a cork soaker.

Which type of corkscrew are you using to remove your corks? The one on the upper left (helical) is much less prone to break a cork off when properly and fully inserted into the cork. The one on the lower right, which is a straight shaft with wide threads like a screw, I have found to be more problematic.

If you're not inserting a helical down the middle and fully, try that first. If you're using a threaded shaft type, try the helical before changing the corks.

If you are already using a helical corkscrew, inserted properly (in the center of the cork) and fully (almost comes out the bottom of the cork) and still have problems, then change the corks.

images

I think you will be safe to remove and put in a new cork.

I use those same corks, at least they are the #9 X1 3/4 and agglomated. I do not have this problem. But I don't hae the problem of the corks breaking or the corks soaking up 1/3 of the way. When I cork, if my wife is watching and insists, I give them a very slight K-meta Spritz, I don't soak or saturate them at all. If she isn't watching, I just put them in, they came from a sealed bag and I keep them in a sealed environment with some dry Metabisulphite added. I did have some issues when I first started making wine and soaked my corks. I learned quickly don't be a cork soaker.

I did have some issues whee wine soaked out the top of the cork that I traced back to being a cork soaker.
Thanks. I don't soak my corks, just a light spray before I insert each one. They go in easier, and gives some sort of sense that the neck is even more protected. (May NOT be a valid theory, though!)

Which type of corkscrew are you using to remove your corks? The one on the upper left (helical) is much less prone to break a cork off when properly and fully inserted into the cork. The one on the lower right, which is a straight shaft with wide threads like a screw, I have found to be more problematic.

If you're not inserting a helical down the middle and fully, try that first. If you're using a threaded shaft type, try the helical before changing the corks.

If you are already using a helical corkscrew, inserted properly (in the center of the cork) and fully (almost comes out the bottom of the cork) and still have problems, then change the corks.

images
Always use a helical (upper left.) "However" perhaps the problem is that I am not going all the way through the cork. Using a 2-step, so I know that initially it only goes in about half way. Hmmmm, good point!

But still, the end of the cork is soft, and it shouldn't be that way. Any thoughts on the oxygen contact time if I re-cork?

Latest posts

Back