Wine Cork Controversies

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Type of Cork Do You Use?

• Traditional "Real" Corks

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • Agglomerate Corks

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • Semi-Synthetics (Altec)

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Full-Synthetics (Nomocorq)

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Screw Caps

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I Use a Variety of Cork Types

Votes: 12 15.6%

• Total voters
Sorry Shake. I have never used them for wine. I did use some for a plain alcohol that won't oxidize, and they seemed to seal well (about 7 years in bottle).

Steve

I use both synthetic and natural corks. I think I paid $120 for a bag of 1000 synthetic corks. I bought them from Neocork. They are up in Napa. The latest natural corks have a much better quality and sanitation to them. They have to compete with the synthetics and screw caps. I guess they began to lose some of their market share and discovered that they now are competing.

I will be switching back to natural corks. Tradition and ageing.

Smurfe, I buy them on line and have bought 2000 over the past two years with no problems.

For you agglomerated users (and you too, Smurfe if you are paying $.05-.07 each) check these out. This is what I use and have had no issues whatsoever.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VFXY3C/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This works out to $.0064 each, i.e. less than a penny each. Read the reviews of the corks. The only bad review was from a person who bought them for crafting and did not like them because the glue being used would not stick to the corks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shockcord, I am totally embarrassed! :slpThank you for the correction. I don't know what I was thinking. Sometimes I wonder how I got this far. The only explanation I have is that I was happy to find corks for under $.10 (or a dime) and somewhere in my goofy mind that went to under a penny.

Last edited:
Shockcord, I am totally embarrassed! :slpThank you for the correction. I don't know what I was thinking. Sometimes I wonder how I got this far. The only explanation I have is that I was happy to find corks for under $.10 (or a dime) and somewhere in my goofy mind that went to under a penny.

You're also responding to a 7 year old thread. :)

Thousands of agglomerates by now, inserted with an Italian corker. Capsules? We don' need no stinkin' CAPSULES!

I read that the Italian and Portuguese floor Corkers are fine with natural cork, but sometimes tends to crease the synthetic corks. Leaves a channel that wine can weep out. Sealing with wax solves the problem.

I have just gotten a bench corker finally after 3 years of using a hand corker and it is time to get some corks in bulk. So my dilemma is #8 vs #9 and straight vs. tapered. Any opinions?

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

#8 is for hand corkers because you cannot apply as much force to compress them. #9 is the preferred cork.

I heard that the 350ml bottles are a little smaller, so the #8 corks are fine for those. But, #9 still work in them.

Straight is best. It gives you the best seal along the entire length of the cork.

My Portuguese floor corker is coming Friday....can't wait. I have 18 gallons ready to practice with.;)

there are "real" corks and then there are Real corks

they are sold in grades from 5 to 1 and in different lengths and diameters .

for my best wines I use # 9 1 3/4" number ones or number 2s , solid natural corks .
I pay between $350 and $700 for one thousand . you can pay upto a dollar each for the very best 2" number 9 corks.

there are also similar grade difference agglomerated corks .
I would only use the best of these which are the twin disk type , the very cheap agglomerated corks should only be used if you are someone who drinks the wine in under a year . perfect for a lot of kit makers

I would use the best twin disk aglomerated corks before I used the cheapest low grade natural corks.

I use Bi-disks, didn't see that listed. Only natural cork touches the wine in the bottle and the amalgomate center insures a good seal.

I've used traditional real corks, twin disc, agglomerated, and Nomacorqs. The Nomacorqs are real easy to insert, but expensive. I use agglomerated or twin disc for the majority of my wines, which are given to relatives and consumed within a year or two of production. I keep real corks and when I'm bottling a batch of a wine that's good and might be expected to improve with age, I use the real corks in a few bottles and try to keep them the longest.

put washers on top of the cork. it also even out the force applied to the cork. 5/16 is perfect

Latest posts

Back