Wine consumption drops for first time in 25 years

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jswordy

Reaction score
Wine is falling out favor with Americans.

That's according to a new report from industry group IWSR that found wine consumption has dropped for the first time in 25 years. Instead, Americans are drinking more spirits and ready-to-drink cocktails, like hard seltzers, following a broader trend of people seeking out less caloric beverages as they become more health conscious.

Beer also remains on the decline with sales falling 2.3% — its fourth year of decreases. Sales of domestic beer brands, like Budweiser, fell 3.1% its analysis showed. But it wasn't all gloom for the sector because craft beer sales jumped 4.1% and low or non-alcoholic beer sales grew 6.6%.

The biggest growth across booze was in the ready-to-drink category. Sales surged 50% last year, buoyed by the apparently unquenchable thirst for spiked seltzers such as White Claw, Truly and Bon & Viv. It's now an $8 billion industry, the firm said, with sales expected to triple within the next three years.

Full story:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/14/business/alcohol-consumption-iwsr-report/index.html

"De gustibus non disputandum est." Loosely translated means in matters of taste, there can be no dispute, i.e. taste is a personal choice and cannot be right or wrong.

Personally, I believe anyone who does not like wine should die in the gutter, but that is just my opinion.

(Kidding, of course.)

I'd say this is just a blip and I'll bet the long term prospects for wine growing/making are good. The Millennials are being blamed for this but if my daughter is any indication, plenty of wine will be consumed by them. They will tire of seltzer and return to primordial beverages like beer and wine.

It takes time to make wine, less time to make beers, no time to make selzers.

On the other hand less younger people are interested, bit it occurs to me that we've had this conversation before

Joe, you make a great point here.

Was it the consumption is up point that ya meant or the 40 gallons point? >>HICK<<< Scusee. :D

BTW, 40 gallons equals about 3.9 bottles average per week.

Was it the consumption is up point that ya meant or the 40 gallons point? >>HICK<<< Scusee. :D

BTW, 40 gallons equals about 3.9 bottles average per week.
Is that all, what would 7 bottle a week be?

never mind, it’s 73 gallons a year. Not including taste testing, leftovers, or when my family visits and wants to taste a dozen different wines.

Wine is falling out favor with Americans.

That's according to a new report from industry group IWSR that found wine consumption has dropped for the first time in 25 years. Instead, Americans are drinking more spirits and ready-to-drink cocktails, like hard seltzers, following a broader trend of people seeking out less caloric beverages as they become more health conscious.

Just a thought: the demographics of the population are changing. We know that. I haven't read the article (sorry, cannot make the time to do that) and I have not had access to the survey itself but I wonder if consumption may have dropped less because the same people are drinking less wine or because there are more people for whom wine drinking was not and is not part of their culture

Is that all, what would 7 bottle a week be?

never mind, it’s 73 gallons a year. Not including taste testing, leftovers, or when my family visits and wants to taste a dozen different wines.

"Hey man, wanna go out to the movies?"

"Naw, dude, I got too much drinking to do!"

People just don't understand the hard work involved! :D:D:D

Back