wine coloring

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrob

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all: I am making my first batch of scratch made crabapple wine. The apples were fairly yellow when picked and I just racked from primary to carboy. The color seems to be quite light brownish at this stage. My question is can I add some red food coloring at some point to make it look more crabapply looking or will this color change on its own as it ages? Thanks. Rob

I cant say that I would recommend adding food coloring. Let the wine do its thing and see what color it comes out. I dont think dying the wine is a good idea. IMO.

Just wondering, did you sprinkle the apple pieces with sulphite as you were cutting them? If not, they may have become slightly oxidyzed while you were adding them to the must. It doesn't take long for that to happen with apples.

Yaeyama: No I didn't sprinkle the pieces, but I guess I will just give it time and see what happens. Thanks

I've never added coloring to my wines but what can it hurt? If the look or color makes your wine more appetizing then what's the harm...it's "your" wine.

there are concentrates out there com. wine makers use them all the time
to make ther wine look better

Latest posts

Back