Wine Cellar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northern Winos said:
You guys!!!
Admiring each others racks...
Now, talking in some sort of code....
smiley13.gif

smiley17.gif

More info on lumber...

<h4>Hardwoods</span></h4>
<table ="wikitable">
<caption>Hardwood dimensional lumber sizes</caption>
<t><tr>
<th>Nominal</th>
<th>Surfaced 1 Side (S1S)</th>
<th>Surfaced 2 sides (S2S)</th>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><sup>1</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>2</sub></span> in</td>
<td><sup>3</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>8</sub></span> in</td>
<td><sup>5</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>16</sub></span> in</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><sup>5</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>8</sub></span> in</td>
<td><sup>1</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>2</sub></span> in</td>
<td><sup>7</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>16</sub></span> in</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><sup>3</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>4</sub></span> in</td>
<td><sup>5</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>8</sub></span> in</td>
<td><sup>9</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>16</sub></span> in</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>1 in or <sup>4</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>4</sub></span> in</td>
<td><sup>7</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>8</sub></span> in</td>
<td><sup>13</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>16</sub></span> in</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>1<s style="display: none;">+</s><sup>1</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>4</sub></span></span> in or <sup>5</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>4</sub></span> in</td>
<td>1<s style="display: none;">+</s><sup>1</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>8</sub></span></span> in</td>
<td>1<s style="display: none;">+</s><sup>1</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>16</sub></span></span> in</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>1<s style="display: none;">+</s><sup>1</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>2</sub></span></span> in or <sup>6</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>4</sub></span> in</td>
<td>1<s style="display: none;">+</s><sup>3</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>8</sub></span></span> in</td>
<td>1<s style="display: none;">+</s><sup>5</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>16</sub></span></span> in</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>2 in or <sup>8</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>4</sub></span> in</td>
<td>1<s style="display: none;">+</s><sup>13</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>16</sub></span></span> in</td>
<td>1<s style="display: none;">+</s><sup>3</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>4</sub></span></span> in</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>3 in or <sup>12</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>4</sub></span> in</td>
<td>2<s style="display: none;">+</s><sup>13</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>16</sub></span></span> in</td>
<td>2<s style="display: none;">+</s><sup>3</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>4</sub></span></span> in</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>4 in or <sup>16</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>4</sub></span> in</td>
<td>3<s style="display: none;">+</s><sup>13</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>26</sub></span></span> in</td>
<td>3<s style="display: none;">+</s><sup>3</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>4</sub></span></span> in</td>
</tr>
</t></table>

In North America sizes for dimensional lumber made from hardwoods
varies from the sizes for softwoods. Boards are usually supplied in
random widths and lengths of a specified thickness, and sold by the board-foot (144 cubic inches, <sup>1</sup><big>⁄</big><sub>12</sub></span>th
of a cubic foot). This does not apply in all countries, for example in
Australia many boards are sold to timber yards in packs with a common
profile (dimensions) but not necessarily of consisting of the same
length boards. Hardwoods cut for furniture are cut in the fall and
winter, after the sap has stopped running in the trees. If hardwoods
are cut in the spring or summer the sap ruins the natural color of the
timber and deteriorates the value of the timber for furniture.

Also in North America hardwood lumber is commonly sold in a
“quarter” system when referring to thickness. 4/4 (four quarters)
refers to a one-inch thick board, 8/4 (eight quarters) is a two-inch
thick board, etc. This system is not usually used for softwood lumber,
although softwood decking is sometimes sold as 5/4 (actually one inch
thick).

I've been trying to figure out what to do about getting a wine cellar. Reading post here, and thinking maybe I would have to give up hobby from May through September. Don't seem to make much sense tobulk age wine if it stays upper 70's to low 80's. While sampling my first batch, and tasting my 2nd batch, sniffing my 3rd &amp; trying to think out of the box, last night, it came to me.

20090304_192929_WineCellarMED03.jpg

It's been sitting in my Mothers basement unused for about 20 Years. Looks like it will hold at least 3 five gallons for bulk age, maybe 4-5 if I lay them down, and about 40 bottles.

I figure if I scrub it down with 1 step, throw in a bucket of K-Meta over night, then dry it and cover with "Dark Wormy Chestnut" Contact paper, it may not be as big as some of you have, but will look fancier. AND looking fancy is what I heard good wine making is all about.

Before someone jumps in to warn me about bulk aging wine at -20; I plan to just use the insulated properties to buffer daily temp swings. Might need to run the compressor a few times for a few minutes during the summer, and throw in a small light bulb during a few months of the winter. If I leave it in her basement.

Isn't there some rheostat or device that can allow you to control the temp of a fridge or freezer much more precise than the internal thermostat will allow?

Assuming it still works that is.

gaudet said:
Isn't there some rheostat or device that can allow you to control the temp of a fridge or freezer much more precise than the internal thermostat will allow?

Assuming it still works that is.

I did run the compressor about 10 min to see it did work. Putting a over engineered temperature control with heat/cool is one possible option; especially, if I move to to a better location. Other wise, don't really think it is much of a issue, I can just manually check it and use manually as necessary. A regular programable wall thermostat, with external power relays, would be a less than $50 project, and keep temps with in 4 deg.

wade said:
Just remember that vibration isnt great for wine either.

Can you explain further, Wade. I assume you are referring to using the built in compressor for cooling. Considering the mass of the freezer, I doubt if the compressor vibration would be an issue. I also would think a little vibration would be good for bulk aging. I understand it is not good for "clarifying in the bottle" while bottle aging.

Vibration at any stage is not really good for wine. Im not sure that the vibrations would effect this that much due to its size but being that is is older it might have some loose mounts and rattle a little more then a newer one also.

Thanks, JWMINNESOTA, that is a great link. It gave me enough imformation that I can drink several bottles of wine, and review until I fully understand it all. For a capsule on the vibration issue, it basically said the jury is out on vibration during aging, any possible issues could be solved by letting the reds stand up right for settling for a few days before opening. Bigger issue would be temperature cycles for saving over several years, and low humidity when used for cooling. It did mention a refrigerator used only for wine as better than storing in the home.

Wade, I know this is older post, but since I'm new here I think I shall inject some new life into it for a moment.
I really enjoyed following your adventure of creating a wine cellar.
How is it working out for you? I would love to build some racks of my own eventually.
Currently, me my fiance and son are living in a basement apartment, so space is at a premium but I can still fit a couple of racks in. I'm just not too sure about the whole temperature thing. It stays pretty cool here and cooler in the winter despite the heating system. But it seems to be relatively in a constant temp range (55-75) year round. Maryland has some crazy weather.
How do you manage the winter? Since you started in 2007 I think you've had two winters to see how things held up.
Thanks for sharing the photos and progress of your work. :)

That room works very well for me with the exception of the extreme summer when it gets bit too humid in there and i have to run the dehumidifier and by doing that it raises the temp up a bit. Other then that it stays within 6 degrees which is usually around 62 average. If I didnt run the humidifier the bottles would sweat along with my water filters and holding tank and the corks would most likely get moldy.

Latest posts

Back