Wine cellar questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Living in an area that has produced wine since the Roman period (there are Roman ruins nearby**), and the Romans did not use humidifiers, why would I? :)

But seriously... Perhaps you did not understand my comment.

Actually, the humidity is not the issue. In fact, I have rather low humidity. The issue, as I already described, is due to damp from the soil, making the walls wet. So many people experience mold on walls due to high humidity, and the water vapor condenses on cold areas of walls, and the mold then grows on the wet surfaces. But my walls get wet not from the inside humidity, but from the outside soil moisture. :)

Again, I have a very different building than what most US residents are familiar with. So can not really use US logic or solutions.

Other than that... I like to think the mold adds.... Character. :cool:

** And I walk outside my front door each morning and see a Medieval castle...

View attachment 98457
I envy your view! But not the mold. You're right about the mold here - it's comes from moisture in humid air condensing against the cold basement walls. In my case it's only an issue in the summer months and a dehumidifier solves the problem.

I have a very different building than what most US residents are familiar with. So can not really use US logic or solutions.
I have done some dry-laid stone work before. The old stone-work like this consists of fitted stone with a soft “mortar” to provide a smooth bedding plane and to distribute loads. The mortar is not glue… gravity supports the structures. Hence the walls are very porous.

If my body holds out in retirement I would like to build a proper wine cellar using these methods.

I have done some dry-laid stone work before. The old stone-work like this consists of fitted stone with a soft “mortar” to provide a smooth bedding plane and to distribute loads. The mortar is not glue… gravity supports the structures. Hence the walls are very porous.

If my body holds out in retirement I would like to build a proper wine cellar using these methods.
Our cellar and the house walls are both made this way. Laid bare when we had the walls renovated,

Our Stone House

One has to cover this type of exterior wall, or point them with a weather resistant mortar -- we decided on the former (we plastered the walls) as this was historically how the house looked before.

Before:

2017-12-09 11.26.13.jpg

After:

2017-12-07 11.04.58.jpg

Before:

2017-12-09 11.25.31.jpg

After:
2017-12-07 11.08.19.jpg

Latest posts

Back