Wine cellar build step 1...racks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your preferred wine rack material and why?

• Wood, traditional

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Metal mesh, very modern

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • PVC, cuz it's cheap and strong!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terra Cotta, I'm a hippy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, please explain in post

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

mendozer

Reaction score
We're about to move into a bigger home and I was about to purchase a sweet Le Cache wine cabinet off Craigslist but the seller couldn't wait for me to arrange for movers (because it was a big heavy sucker!)

So now I'm in the dream phase of my own cellar, built in place. I will have a space on slab (old garage that was converted into storage space) to put this on. I'm thinking either CellarPro cooling or maybe a CoolBot using an air conditioner. The sucky thing was I really didn't want to build racks and this one would have had racks for 620 bottles. Ugh!

I'm handy with wood but it's a major time suck cutting and arranging pieced for traditional wood racks. I've done PVC drain pipe for a small wine rack years ago, and think that would be cool to stack them up wall to wall up to say 6 feet high and have them friction fit. Then i saw the goat panel racks which looks easy, but I'd have to make it more legit than the images I've seen online. TerraCotta looks cool, but finding that now is fairly hard around here.

I'm planning to fill a space about 10 feet wide, maybe go up 6 or 7 feet high, I'll put in a counter as well and maybe a storage shelf for my winemaking stuff.

so I guess my major question is now is comparing and contrasting rack material. I'll figure out the insulation value for walls, cooling method, framing, etc later. What's your favorite rack, vote!

that's a cool idea. I like using that cable stuff, used it many times on craft projects. I wonder if that's cheaper than goat panels (since that wouldn't need intermediate vertical strips of wood)

I did not like the look of goat panels, to utilitarian for my taste even if I trimmed in wood. My previous racks were basic black painted wire rack that was probably made out of goat panels.

• Other, please explain in post
Any of the options in the list. Or rocks. Or cinder blocks. Or hover boards. Or witchcraft. Or anything else that I have at hand or can use. I am not pretentious about storage solutions. Neither the wine nor I care what kind of rack is holding up the bottle during storage. I only care what is in the bottle and that it is stored properly. :)

Latest posts

Back