Wine bottle shortage?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fabulous school, believe that is where the Blanc DuBois came from.

I'll pass on the San Sebastian... Beautiful winery, I just can't get into those Muskadine wines. I love them as fresh fruit, I have 7 varieties here but no more than 2 vines of each and really enjoy them cold. But that's it.

That's because you have never had GOOD muscadine wine. It has to be made a certain way to be tasty. My 2013 Los Angeles Cellarmasters silver medals, back when I was sending wines to contests. On the right is a blueberry.

winemedals001_zpsc1c3f6c6-1.jpg

Some of the 2013-14 haul.

11150432_10205157801478545_2985327687544688411_n_zpsgj7ylhdw.jpg

That's because you have never had GOOD muscadine wine.
I've had a fair number of V. Rotundifolia (Muscadine & Scuppernong) from local wineries, many of them medal winners. Ranging from off-dry to sweet, most were at least good quality. But -- it's not my taste. I like Vinifera and French-American hybrids, and some Labrusca. Different strokes for different folks.

I've had a fair number of V. Rotundifolia (Muscadine & Scuppernong) from local wineries, many of them medal winners. Ranging from off-dry to sweet, most were at least good quality. But -- it's not my taste. I like Vinifera and French-American hybrids, and some Labrusca. Different strokes for different folks.

I like all wines but I particularly like to support wineries that make GOOD wine from truly American wine grapes. Like all wines, it is very easy to make a bad muscadine or scuppernong wine, since you must do it right to avoid unfavorable flavors. Vastly more people have had bad ones than good ones. It was a particular delight for me to take the Cellarmasters silver medal with a muscadine wine in an area of the country that is ga-ga over viniferas.

I like all wines but I particularly like to support wineries that make GOOD wine from truly American wine grapes. Like all wines, it is very easy to make a bad muscadine or scuppernong wine, since you must do it right to avoid unfavorable flavors. Vastly more people have had bad ones than good ones. It was a particular delight for me to take the Cellarmasters silver medal with a muscadine wine in an area of the country that is ga-ga over viniferas.

LOL, I might add that my non-wine snob friends eschew dry vinifera wines I uncork in favor of my muscadines. Nearly every time. Like you said, different strokes.

San Sebastian Winery is in St Augustine. They make some nice wines!
I like their Rose.
Also, my youngest did an internship at UF in Gainesville. It's one of the finest agricultural studies universities in the nation
So did mine - they're also one of the top veterinary schools in the nation!

While I was able to find the bottles I need to get through this season, I got this today, proclaiming that the "Bottle Shortages are Worse than Ever!"

deleteme.jpg

$26 for a case! Ouch! I was paying about $15 a case with no shipping since I picked up locally. I haven't been making wine (last bottled in 2018) I was running out of space to store it!

I've either drank or gifted it most of it over the last couple of years, so it's about time to crank up production again. I don't like using used commercial bottles, because I *nice* my bottles up with labels and matching capsules since I gift wine quite often.

That said, I just took a look at Label Peelers (a place I used to shop) They have 4 cases of clear Bordeaux style bottles for $40! I might have to snag that since I intend to make some fruit wines along with some grape wines. The green Bordeaux bottles are $14 a case and Burgundy bottles are about (ugh) $23.

I will check with my local suppliers.

Well I had a rude awakening concerning using used bottles. I have a never ending supply of bottles mostly Pino Noir but after bottling the Meyer Lemon wine found out the tops of the bottles are different sizes. The bottle seals I bought to dress up the bottle tops only fit on 3 out of 9 bottles because 6 had 32mm instead of 30mm tops. Bummer, I ordered some new seals that will fit but they won't be yellow, the color I wanted. I've been boiling and removing labels for over a week and now I have to separate by bottle top diameters besides shape and color.

Well I had a rude awakening concerning using used bottles. I have a never ending supply of bottles mostly Pino Noir but after bottling the Meyer Lemon wine found out the tops of the bottles are different sizes. The bottle seals I bought to dress up the bottle tops only fit on 3 out of 9 bottles because 6 had 32mm instead of 30mm tops. Bummer, I ordered some new seals that will fit but they won't be yellow, the color I wanted. I've been boiling and removing labels for over a week and now I have to separate by bottle top diameters besides shape and color.
Are these screw cap or cork bottles?

Were they from sparkling wines? Beefier bottle?
Similar experience. Had some bottles saved from years ago, beautiful pattern in the glass, excited about using them. Regular cap looked like a chef's hat on top of the bottle.

All cork bottles, I can only think as they are $50 a bottle and up for the most part that a finer bottle is used. Half a case of empty thick neck 32mm bottles fell to the floor and not a one broke. A lot are just drinking wine bottles, they are all 30mm.

Latest posts

Back