Wine bottle shortage?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I soak bottles in hot tap water with Oxyclean, removing them when the bottles are still hot. Any residue that remains comes off with Goo Gone.
Ditto above but sometimes Goo Gone doesn’t work. In those cases a bit of lacquer thinner on a paper towel does the job after scraping off the label. I am careful when rinsing them not to get anything inside the bottle.

Have you tried putting boiling water in the bottles? If the glue is thermally activated, boiling water may soften it for removal.
No, I have tried hot water but not boiling. I suspect whatever glue they're using isn't thermally activated, because the hot water didn't seem to soften the glue at all.

I'm picking up a bunch of bottles with the mega glue this weekend (can't beat the price), so I'll give boiling water a shot. Thanks!

No, I have tried hot water but not boiling. I suspect whatever glue they're using isn't thermally activated, because the hot water didn't seem to soften the glue at all.

I'm picking up a bunch of bottles with the mega glue this weekend (can't beat the price), so I'll give boiling water a shot. Thanks!
If that fails, lacquer thinner is a sure winner.

Have you tried putting boiling water in the bottles? If the glue is thermally activated, boiling water may soften it for removal.

Just because I tend to play it safe, I wouldn't put boiling water into a bottle if it wasn't Pyrex. I do use warm/hot water from the tap to sometimes soften the glue though.

I've had great success with putting bottles in the oven for 10 mins and then peeling the labels right off. It's a good idea to make sure the bottle is rinsed well but also that there isn't too much water in the bottle when you're baking it. It's also a good idea to bring the bottle up to temperature with the oven and not just place a cold bottle in a hot oven. Likewise, let them cool on their own once the label is peeled off. Be sure to use oven mitts. I imagine the success of this technique depends on the type of label /glue used on the bottle.

Ditto above but sometimes Goo Gone doesn’t work. In those cases a bit of lacquer thinner on a paper towel does the job after scraping off the label. I am careful when rinsing them not to get anything inside the bottle.
put a cork in the bottle and you will not have to be so care full

I stopped at a local winery a few weeks ago and picked up 5 cases of empties. I'll be stopping back monthly or so -- it will cost me $10 for a tasting and I'll probably buy a bottle each time ... which is fine with me! :)
Empties?? Where’s the fun in that. We do it the old fashioned way and empty them ourselves 🤣🤣. My wife just got a case delivered today.

I use the boiling water method, but it only works on a limited number of bottles , J Lohr, St. francis cabs come off super easy. And then olive oil to get rid of any residue if its not one of those two. Those chemicals sound scary. If a label is too hard to remove, I drink a different wine! But I only bottle about 140 a year. After recycling for a 2 years, I am all set.

I use a handheld steamer (for clothing) about 30 seconds. It loosens the glue. Then scrape it off and use isopropyl alcohol to wipe the residue off. I’ve been cleaning labels off bottles for craft projects long before I started to make wine and this is the only method I have had success with.

I used to put bottles in the oven but find it easier to put a small amount of water into bottle and put it in micro-wave for a minute. ninety nine percent of labels peal right off easily. sometimes there's some glue residue left which i use VM&P Naptha. this cleans readily, not as problematic as acetone or lacquer thinner, and doesn't leave any oily residue like mineral spirits or wd-40

Commercial off-the-shelf wine labels are a pain. I don't think there is a label removal technique that is a fit-all solution. If so I'm all eyes. There are labels that come off soaked in soapy water. Some labels peel off (leaving residue) if the inside of the bottle is warmed with hot tap water. Some glue under the label is hard and easily scrapes off with a paint window scrapper. Some labels have two different types of glue. One type applied to the back label, one type for the front label. I've run into some labels, if they get wet, some crazy chemical reaction happens and it turns into the label from hell. Those get tossed. I usually start with a window paint remover. If the glue seems tacky under the label, I'll test the other side label. Then I'll either continue scraping or fill the bottle 3/4 with hot tap water, or both. I haven't put bottles into a microwave, or oven as yet to remove the labels. Getting rid of the glue residue is another step in the process. I think we should make a call to our elected representatives demanding them to put restrictions on the types of glue manufacturers can use for labeling You know for recycling sake. My opinion is not intended to represent the opinion of others. IMO.

High end wines having glue that makes label removal all but impossible makes sense -- it prevents counterfeiting. If I made a wine that sold for $50+ USD per bottle, I'd do the same. There is financial incentive to remove a label from such a bottle and stick it on a $5 bottle.

OTOH, I use very easy to remove and re-stick labels as the commercial value of my wines is $0.00 USD, and I LOVE being able to simply peel the label off, rinse the bottle, and put it on the tree.

Latest posts

Back